Security Installer Community

Bell Box Not Triggering

phil-h44

In my haste to encourage you in buying a new panel, I forgot to ask if you had checked to see if all zones have inadvertantly been programmed as "not used". (cmd 15).

I'm pretty sure the OP has programmed and tested a PA and also tried triggering the alarm via a tamper circuit.

Got to be a dodgy panel I reckon. (given that it works on bell test)

I'm pretty sure the OP has programmed and tested a PA and also tried triggering the alarm via a tamper circuit.

Got to be a dodgy panel I reckon. (given that it works on bell test)

Yer, I reckon your proberbly right, but I just wondered as you do, given two panels the same.

After all, even if zone 6 was made PA, it wont work unless zone 6 is enabled.

Hey ho, proberbly fitting galaxy c/w lcd as we post.

Guest anguscanplay
Good morning Angus... I am not blaming the tools at all, I have carried out an exhaustive series of tests to try to isolate this problem, bearing in mind that this is the second Panel with exactly the same symptoms..

The reply nto your first question is AS in an earlier reply Between 1.62 & 1.64volts disconnected?

Unfortunately I can't carry out any further tests as the panel has now been removed & packaged for return.. and to be honest I simply can not afford to spend any more time on what has up to now proved to be a fruitless excercise. Circumstances dictate that I must have my property re- protected by this week-end and time is now in short supply. At the end of the day I consider that my tests have verified that the panel has a fault and it is now up to the manufacturers to diagnose that problem.. although I suspect that they won't be at all interested in doing that.

The supplier has agreed (without hesitation) to exchange it for another make

Thanks again....... Phil.

P.S. In the cold light of morning, There is still NO link in the Bell

may i suggest you try the new panel with a different sounder connected first this time?

I have checked and rechecked the connections several times over and they ARE as the makers manuals..( both ext sounder and panel ) I have not miswired any connections unless the manuals are incorrect. If you read earlier posts you will find that I have already done the tests that you describe.

I am a time served and qualified engineer with experience of electronics and electrics in far more complex equipment than intruder alarms.. I am more tham competent to carry out what work and tests I have done and do understand the terminology... both old & new.

OK I don't know the finer details of these systems i.e what voltages should apply where, but I can follow simple instructions and know what I am doing.

Thanks again for all the help....

Phil

hi phil,

with full respects to you in your own field of electronics and competence in it, i have been in mine for over 40 years, have taught countless people my trade, having also run my own firm for 28 of years - so trust me i am extremely competant in my field.

replacing with alternative make but with any faults still existing, is highly unlikely to move you much further forward, could be like changing the car radio because it won't start reliably, would not be that productive, even after the 2nd swap out.

your on your second panel (and no matter what i think of that model) being scantronic it is a trade respected reliable make, imo it is very unlikely to be faulty brand new 'out of the box', although it may well seem so to the less experienced engineer or novice to our trade.

so before you fit your replacement panel, do as any real pro intruder engineer would do (or any experienced technician), set it up on a bench, test for the correct conditions (as laid out in my previous post) before you fit it on the wall.

if all is well only connect the siren, see if it works as it should, add the next item - see if it still works and so on.

you will know as an electronics technician application of a strict logical test proceedures will elimate causes of most of the problems by allowing early discovery.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi phil,

with full respects to you in your own field of electronics and competence in it, i have been in mine for over 40 years, have taught countless people my trade, having also run my own firm for 28 of years - so trust me i am extremely competant in my field.

replacing with alternative make but with any faults still existing, is highly unlikely to move you much further forward, could be like changing the car radio because it won't start reliably, would not be that productive, even after the 2nd swap out.

your on your second panel (and no matter what i think of that model) being scantronic it is a trade respected reliable make, imo it is very unlikely to be faulty brand new 'out of the box', although it may well seem so to the less experienced engineer or novice to our trade.

so before you fit your replacement panel, do as any real pro intruder engineer would do (or any experienced technician), set it up on a bench, test for the correct conditions (as laid out in my previous post) before you fit it on the wall.

if all is well only connect the siren, see if it works as it should, add the next item - see if it still works and so on.

you will know as an electronics technician application of a strict logical test proceedures will elimate causes of most of the problems by allowing early discovery.

regs

alan

You seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick my friend... I wasn't questioning your competence at all even though you appeared and still appear to be questioning mine. Your little comment about "novice" and "our" trade are noted and if nothing else made me smile.. Like you I have been in my field for a long time ( almost 50 years) and have learned over that time to ask for help & advice when I have needed it.

All I tried to point out was that if you had read the previous entries you would have seen that I had already carried out the tests that you were suggesting and the results proved that the circuits were OK and that the Ext sounder was working OK

On top of which my posts showed that I had indeed carried out a series of tests in a logical manner and still ended up with the same result and that result indicated a faulty panel.

My old panel was a scantronic 9200 which had worked fine for more than 20years until the transformer went haywire and fried the rectifier diodes, so I had no reason not to replace it with another of the same make, Sadly recent events have shown that even reputable companies can fail sometimes and after two in a row I decided to give another brand a try.

Anyway this is all immaterial now as I have fitted the replacement panel this afternoon and all is now working fine. no new sounder, no new cabling, just a fully working panel has cured the problem.

Very many thanks for all those who have given me constructive assistance.. I now know more than I did before so it has all been very worthwhile.... the end result did eventually justify the means..

Thanks again....... Phil.

Phil

Dont worry about angus and arfur, they have they own little play area, but im sure neither meant any ill toward you.

But on a positive note, well done (in a non patronising way lol) glad your sorted, what panel you go for in the end?

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Phil

Dont worry about angus and arfur, they have they own little play area, but im sure neither meant any ill toward you.

But on a positive note, well done (in a non patronising way lol) glad your sorted, what panel you go for in the end?

James

That's ok James.. I don't take offence at a & a, in truth I find it amusing.

I finished up with a Texecom Panel, partly because the supplier had them in stock and had agreed to do me a direct swap, but I also thought that they would be a reasonable alternative. The thought also crossed my mind that after my recent experience it might be a good idea to use a Panel and a Bellbox ( sorry external sounder.. ha ha) from the same manufacturer.

Best Regards........ Phil.

lol we all do.... most of the time

But texecom, good brand i assume a veritas not a premier? (only cos you had a 9448 before as the prem is a fantastic panel rivaling the galaxy for most features)

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

lol we all do.... most of the time

But texecom, good brand i assume a veritas not a premier? (only cos you had a 9448 before as the prem is a fantastic panel rivaling the galaxy for most features)

James

Yes it is the Veritas.. R8 with a remote pad... All I need is a no frills panel that will make a loud noise if anyone tries to "Intrude". we are fortunate to be amongst a very good group of neighbours and we all look out for each other when any of us is away, for all of us to hear each other's alarms is all that our systems need to do.

A pleasant note to sign off with... Goodnight..

Phil.

Archived