Security Installer Community

Bell Box Not Triggering

phil-h44

Do 9448s still have a link to select between SAB and SCB?

The older 9448's it was in the programming so I assume it will still be.

2 in a row!

No ones that unlucky surely?

:unsure:

Maybe he got one from the same batch as the first one? Possibly bad batch???

2 in a row!

No ones that unlucky surely?

:unsure:

Hmmm. Well it does read as panel, but I guess to double check you could disconnect the bell unit, put a loop across 0v and TR, then trigger alarm and measure voltage across Bell & 12v, then STR & 12v as posted previously.

Have you actually done a bell test, Ie: Bell Test - Enter - Code (check manual, I haven't got one handy and my memory.....)

I am only thinking it is possible that you may have inadvertently programmed a bell delay which will prevent the external sounder from operating until the time expires.

Doing a bell test negates the bell delay.

As phil has said he has tried disabling 2ply, I think he's got a modern 9448.

The old cmd for SAB/SCB was 50. Cmd 50 was changed for making zone 6 a PA zone. SAB/SCB select is not an option in programming.

As I recall there is no bell delay on 9448.

On the other hand, I aint worked on one for yonks.

I have just replaced my old Scantronic 9200 Panel & ext bellbox (failed after 20+ years) with a NEW

Scantronic 9448 Panel and a Texecom Odyssey 1 Bellbox.

The alarm panel appears to be working as it should but the external siren/strobe is not triggering when an alarm state occurs.

I have checked and double checked all the wiring and connections.

If I disconnect the bellbox +ve supply from the control panel (panel in engineer mode) the bellbox immediately triggers.. it stops when I reconnect the cable.

Am I missing something or could either the panel or bellbox be faulty, how can I test to ascertain which one is the culprit.

Many thanks..... Phil.

so try wiring it as scb, see if that cures the problem.

imo which is so low of this panel. it should not be paid for but just thrown away, so you want to catch this one before it hits the skip?

if not i have a spare 9448+ panel in the garage you can have free gratis + postage costs. never used as was bought in to replace existing panel on site agent instructions but the end client had more sense and on my advice upgraded to a G490 - which i'd advise you to do.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

On this bellbox the SAB/SCB is a link on the pcb and it is set to SAB. I can't find anywhere in programming to set this via the panel.

I can't see myself what else the problem can be other than another faulty panel. I have linked out all the zones and the AT circuit, disconnected all the detectors that were wired into the AUX terminals, disconnected from the mains... and the bell still won't trigger.

The only way I can get the thing to go off is by the Bell test or by linking 0v & Bell.

What else is there for it to be.... surely a faulty bell unit wouldn't work at all.

It'll be a call back to Alert Electrical again in the morning

Thanks for all your help chaps... I'm an "old school" engineer but this had me flummoxed.

I will keep you informed of the outcome.....

Phil.

so try wiring it as scb, see if that cures the problem.

imo which is so low of this panel. it should not be paid for but just thrown away, so you want to catch this one before it hits the skip?

if not i have a spare 9448+ panel in the garage you can have free gratis + postage costs. never used as was bought in to replace existing panel on site agent instructions but the end client had more sense and on my advice upgraded to a G490 - which i'd advise you to do.

regs

alan

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to part company with the 9448+ and ask Alert to supply me with another brand, pay a bit more and hope it's a worker.

Phil.

Don't give up just yet.

If the sounder works when you do a bell test your wirng and the sounder must be ok.

Any fuses that feed the sounder must also be ok, I would suggest that you double check whether or not there is anything in the programming which may be preventing the sounder from activating.

It is possibly a faulty panel but the fact that it triggers on bell test and the fact that this is the second panel suggests that it isn't.

I am not familiar with the latest standards and there have been significant changes since I last worked on a 9448 but look for anything relating to bell delay, internals only on part set etc etc.

I have just looked at the 9448+ manual, as somebody else mentioned there is no bell delay option with this panel.

Just have a quick look at Option 53 (Part Set alarm response), make sure it's set to 0.

Apart from that I can't think of anything else it could be but it can't be your sounder or wiring otherwise it wouldn't work during a bell test.

Don't give up just yet.

If the sounder works when you do a bell test your wirng and the sounder must be ok.

Any fuses that feed the sounder must also be ok, I would suggest that you double check whether or not there is anything in the programming which may be preventing the sounder from activating.

It is possibly a faulty panel but the fact that it triggers on bell test and the fact that this is the second panel suggests that it isn't.

I am not familiar with the latest standards and there have been significant changes since I last worked on a 9448 but look for anything relating to bell delay, internals only on part set etc etc.

I've read both the manual and the user guide over & over but can't find anything at all relating to disabling the ext bell. The only bell delay is when in the 2ply mode which gives a 30sec delay between the internal & external sounders... I have tried this & waited for double the 30secs.. no bell. I have also disabled this feature and tried it again.. no bell.

I have linked out each zone in turn with a test between each one, linked them all out one after the other, linked out the AT, progressively removed all the PIR feeds one at a time. Tried with mains power on & off, with the Battery on & off, and everything else that I and the fellas on here could think of.. without a result.

Phil.

Archived