Security Installer Community

PIR, Dual Tech or Quad

Guest John Barrett

Guest Gimmick

Just to throw a spanner in the works here, I would be careful of simply opting for a Quad detector. If the alarm is coming from radiated heat and sharp changes in ambient temperature, then a Quad will suffer the same fate as a standard Dual Element PIR. We manufacture a detector that has a patented Dual-Hex element pyro detector (12 detection zones, instead of the 4 in a Quad), and I would still have concerns about false alarms from your application.

The combined technology can also suffer from this type of installation as a motorhome can flex (triggering the microwave), with the PIR still suffering from the heat changes (if that is the case). One question asked earler might lead to a more accurate solution. . . . Power !!

You are operating from a D.C. source that has no regulation or current limiting (most supplies have a constant-current circuit to regulate spikes from the PSU itself). This supply is obviously going to be connected to a whole host of other things on the system and any random "on-demand" current draw from the source, will simply transfer across to the detector. Although you have no AC supply here, I would recomment use of the ACT filters that the professionals mention several times in this forum. Would negate the effects of any potential spikes from the source, or other attached devices.

Regards

Gimmick.

RX 40 are rubbish, we use Rokonet 900PQ for all our detectors and use the DT models for commercial etc.

We use the Optex FX50SQ for conservatories and they are a great detector.

A few of the //.National Installer.// guys have mentioned the Aritech ultrasonics in the past too.

Lets be honest they must fit bucket loads so they must be well proven.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

• 13 years later...

Well done for bumping a 13~ year old thread, regarding alarms in motorhomes.

I certainly don't agree with the comments on Optex above.

For the OP I would say other types of detector are more suited to fitting in vehicles, see Breff's post.

As for domestic alarms I would always fit Quads as a minimum and commercial would be DT's.

Considering £12 was considered cheap end back then, a lots changed price wise.

5 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Those were the days, back when all my old posts were deleted

Is that 7k posts blag then you just added extra , as you don't talk much 

4 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Is that 7k posts blag then you just added extra , as you don't talk much 

I lost quite a few k posts of mostly waffle, when all the mods left TSI to go to Versigo