Security Installer Community

Diy Sets Up His Own Company

whistle

:ranting: did you see the minors works certificate...

did the plug have a 3 amp fuse in it?

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

why,

do you need an alarm system fitted?

nah, i just wanted to add them to the list of cowboys, don't worry your lot are still at the top.

ps: don't forget your in public, i have my name at the bottom and would have to make things fair and put yours up ;):lol:

Lovley install brother!!!! I don't know how prats like this have the cheek to charge people.... but then again it's the tight bottoms out there who want it dones for nothing...... well now they know what to expect..... coming to a door near you for one day only :-) Put things this way.... he wouldn't have done that in my house..... then again he wouldn't have done that in a dog kennel!!!! But the dog probabally would!!!! :-) pmsl

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

this will show my age and amuse many,

those connections your all snooting at were called 'finger joints' and was the way it was done for many many years on companies like AFA, Brocks, Rely-a-Bell, Abel and so on, when i 1st started in this trade and long long before, but it would be a darn site neater lol.

the covering was either systoflex on twisted twin cable joints or the scrap cable casing from 4, 6 or 8 core cable.

each 'finger' had 3 staples and the wire would be bared and twisted about for 50mm. you poked the wires into the sleeve doubled over and stapled about 5 m in catching the cores insulation, then again about 20mm and finally 5mm leaving the twisted ends exposed but shrouded to allow a meter prod to make contact. not normally soldered as they were meant to be serviceable during fault finding

done properly, i've known them type of joints last faultlessly for over 40 years (yes alarms lasted for 40 - 50 years on average back then), obviously on installs done well before i was even a twinkle.

i'm not suggesting we go back to that practice but i'd bet you would have a fight on your hands to get most modern plastic alarm jb terminations and cable joints to be so reliable over that period.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

That joint above had one 8 core feeding the whole house, with single wire returns on the kitchen passive and PA button...

Did a panel change a month or two ago and found a zone to be open circuit on power up (well, tamper O/C now due to EOL panel). The job was fitted many years ago by Group 4, with a panel change about 5 or 6 years ago (this was the panel I was changing). They had run a solid core 12 core out to 4 PIR's, with a 6 core at each detector :fear: Found the J.B eventually :no: Can't stand joints like this and the one pictured. No excuse and probably took longer to do all the joints than to run seperate cables in!

Trade Member

this will show my age and amuse many,

those connections your all snooting at were called 'finger joints' and was the way it was done for many many years on companies like AFA, Brocks, Rely-a-Bell, Abel and so on, when i 1st started in this trade and long long before, but it would be a darn site neater lol.

the covering was either systoflex on twisted twin cable joints or the scrap cable casing from 4, 6 or 8 core cable.

each 'finger' had 3 staples and the wire would be bared and twisted about for 50mm. you poked the wires into the sleeve doubled over and stapled about 5 m in catching the cores insulation, then again about 20mm and finally 5mm leaving the twisted ends exposed but shrouded to allow a meter prod to make contact. not normally soldered as they were meant to be serviceable during fault finding

done properly, i've known them type of joints last faultlessly for over 40 years (yes alarms lasted for 40 - 50 years on average back then), obviously on installs done well before i was even a twinkle.

i'm not suggesting we go back to that practice but i'd bet you would have a fight on your hands to get most modern plastic alarm jb terminations and cable joints to be so reliable over that period.

regs

Agreed,

I wonder how many 'boys' will pull apart what you say this time?

We always soldered when twisted and before putting in the sleeve and used insulated staples

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived