Security Installer Community

Gardtec Speech Dialler

i had 100v ac the other day :yes:

hope you reported it :)

could be induction, sometimes i've seen chains of florescents cause this on alarm cables when run close, especially with modern high input impedance DVM's

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
imo the most common vexed question raised on dialers is the missing of the need for 'pull up' resistors (both for trigger and line fault),

now you see my 'logic' perhaps?

regs

alan

he said quote " ive got a speechdialler and its showing line fault..." the reason will be NO LINE, nothing else and nothing less

Guest anguscanplay
now go re-read O/Pnote 3 in post 13#

the bit a about there being a BT plug, which was exactly what i had deduced as described in my earlier post by the way (not that you can read all that well, and what you do read you completely misunderstand :punk: )

regs

alan

er so whats more use - checking the o/p is testing at the same socket as the dialler or prattling on about resisters? you misread the thread and as usual just carry on like a ship under full steam (jeez you dont even know when a line SHOULD be at 100v ac)

Guest anguscanplay
the fail to send is a secondary fault produced by the line fault issue, obviously it cant dial out due to it.

3. try a standard BT handset in the socket to see if that dials out ok.

4. if it do's and you are with a cable supplier like Virgin, the line volts are some times lower than BT (about 35volts), this may be why your dialer is showing line fault with everything connected properly.

it's a while since i used this unit but i'm sure (from my faded memory) there is a setting to overide and so force it to dial with a line fault present, i'm also sure Alter EGo (one of my apprentices) will be along shortly to ratify (well he is just so keen to be the best - i've just got to throw him a few crumbs from time to time if only to make sure he reads all the manuals :P ).

your next step is to actually test the line volts, preferably right into the dialer connections, as it's possible you have a faulty line cord.

regs

alan

and finally - if a standard BT handset dials out then a speechdialler will too, nothing to do with " lower volts", virgins or forced over rides (dial with a line fault ROFL) though

is the dialler connected through some sort of exchange ? either on the premises or remotely, if so you would need the customary 9 first and to insert a pause ( no button ) before the real numbers

thats all

i had 100v ac the other day :yes:
hope you reported it :)

could be induction, sometimes i've seen chains of florescents cause this on alarm cables when run close, especially with modern high input impedance DVM's

regs

alan

Line will be 100v ac when phone is ringing.

It hurts too.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

he said quote " ive got a speechdialler and its showing line fault..." the reason will be NO LINE, nothing else and nothing less

your getting there Angus - well nearly so can somebody wake me up when he manages to do the whole trip please?

with your usual lack of brilliance you observe there is a line fault - wow! here's a newsflash for you "the O/P along with about 7000 other members i'd say worked that out all by himself" while you conteneted yourself by driveled on about broadband filters - give me a break :rolleyes:

for you enlightenment, even if he had internet on this line the lack of filters would not stop the dialer or cause the line fault condition, just as it don't with an ordinary handset. the filter stops the internet from being 'dropped' when a call is made due to the handset partially shorting the line SO CARE TO COMMENT FURTHER from your vast pool of mis-knowledge?.

so now we move to diagnosing why it is showing line fault?

i suggested use a standard handset in order to prove the socket works and has a working line on it, a good ruse i'd say, after all who fitted the socket? if the handset works (proving the socket and line) then then the problem is between the socket and the dialer i.e. the line is cord duff SO IT I|S NOT A LINE FAULT.

now stop me if i'm wrong do we not know its a line cord? i think we do because the o/p stated there is a BT type plug on it which he used - so making any gentle progress yet are we darling?) perhaps it's been ripped out of the dialer by accident, but is still held in the casing.

maybe the dialer has an issue i.e its duff, but we need to suggest tests the o/p can do himself with i respectfully assume limited tools and knowledge (but imo showing far more understanding and comprehension for good common sense approach than you ever manage to show).

while we are here - regards the resistors, so what offends you? imo they are to high and why i posted a lower value should be used, if the o/p finally sorts the fault it most likely will not work every time, and not working once is very bad news would you not say?

you crashed on about private exchanges, yes it would ned a '9' or a '0' depends on the programming but a line would also be handy resource first.

the reason for the 'forced dial' is if the line is working at the lower than usual voltage it won't prevent the dialer starting up, so forcing it to dial in what is a 'false' line fault will overcome the problem for testing, or do you disagree?

you know, do i detect a a funny but a familiar smell in here - ah! got it, thats just angus being soundly frazzled by me - again :yes:

regs

alan

Line will be 100v ac when phone is ringing.

It hurts too.

i had a few of those when hooking up the old 999's in the days of the old black handsets, those bell coils were damn vicious and threw me across the room several times

regs

alan

and finally - if a standard BT handset dials out then a speechdialler will too, nothing to do with " lower volts", virgins or forced over rides (dial with a line fault ROFL) though

how many standard BT type handsets do you know of which have a line fault monitor which prevents dialing in the absece of a dial tone? model number and make please

(what an utter lemon :rolleyes: )

regs

alan

Archived