Security Installer Community

Gardtec Speech Dialler

Hi i'm new to this have just fitted a gardtec speech dialler but keeps saying that there is a line fault i have tested the line and i

can phone out and receive calls so line is ok is it something i've done wrong and how i can put it right thanks

is it connected to a gardtec panel? if not you may need to fit a bias resistor

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
is it connected to a gardtec panel? if not you may need to fit a bias resistor

regs

alan

why? ignore Arf, he`s got the wrong end of the stick again

O/P can you take a voltage reading where the line connects to the dialler?

why? ignore Arf, he`s got the wrong end of the stick again

O/P can you take a voltage reading where the line connects to the dialler?

so you want to put your (whats left of what you had of it) tatty rep on that Angus?

i know your not well trained in fault diagnosis so i let you down gently, he gets message's from the dialer so he has line voltage (so why the feck are suggesting he test it with a meter? :gimme: ) and also has a dial tone (which would prove voltage present) or it would not dial out would it

if you don't behave Angus, i will not let you continue to train be my apprentice wizard anymore :angry:

:)

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
so you want to put your (whats left of what you had of it) tatty rep on that Angus?

i know your not well trained in fault diagnosis so i let you down gently, he gets message's from the dialer so he has line voltage (so why the feck are suggesting he test it with a meter? :gimme: ) and also has a dial tone (which would prove voltage present) or it would not dial out would it

if you don't behave Angus, i will not let you continue to train be my apprentice wizard anymore :angry:

:)

regs

alan

Arf with respect have you read the O/P`s question - wheres he getting a message from the dialler saying he has line volts?

HE SAID HE IS GETTING A MESSAGE SAYING LINE FAULT

and where will that message be ? on the dialler

and where does the line connect ? on the dialler

and where is he testing ? NOT AT THE DIALLER IS HE ? he`s testing with a handset

now wind yer neck back in, go have your afternoon nap and come back tonight when your awake

You need to test that you have voltage on the line at the dialler a/b terminals.

Have you just used the phone lead thats already wired in or have you hard wired it?

do you have broadband? if so is it going through a filter as it should be?

Arf with respect have you read the O/P`s question - wheres he getting a message from the dialler saying he has line volts?

and where will that message be ? on the dialler :oops:

and where does the line connect ? on the dialler banghead

and where is he testing ? NOT AT THE DIALLER IS HE ? he`s testing with a handset arggg

now wind yer neck back in, go have your afternoon nap and come back tonight when your awake :Whip:

:lol:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

and where will that message be ? on the dialler

and where does the line connect ? on the dialler

and where is he testing ? NOT AT THE DIALLER IS HE ? he`s testing with a handset

now wind yer neck back in, go have your afternoon nap and come back tonight when your awake

although i concede the o/p is not saying the dialer is dialing out, i'm allowing a bit of 'latitude' in the accuracy of the description (like when we all help you out :P )

given these units come with a line cord ready fitted with BT type plug ready for diy'er to simply plug it in, it would be difficult to incorrectly connect it. of course he might (but i think unlikely) have hard wired behind the socket and also a bit tricky to test at the unit for the 'non-combatant' for a line even if he has a meter, so we start in gently from a more likely problem.

imo the most common vexed question raised on dialers is the missing of the need for 'pull up' resistors (both for trigger and line fault), so it was the best approach to take until the o/p made clear how he/she wired it and so coaxing out the exact fault, hence my question which panel he had used it on, which we now know was not Gartec.

had it been, then i'd have asked if he removed the factory fitted ressistor or link on older Gardtec panels (Hello Aaron) ;)

now you see my 'logic' perhaps?

regs

alan

hi it's not connected to a gardtec panel i have put a resistor in the alarm panel but is there one that goes into the speech dialler thanks

no, you only need it at one device.

if you have a meter the line will be at 50 volts DC when not engaged, if the phone is in use it drops to around 10 volts DC.

if you have wired directly from dialer to socket you need to connect between A & B on the dialer to 2 & 5 on the BT socket.

assuming you have the IDC type connections on the socket, pressing the wires down can be a bit tricky to get a decent connection without the right tool to hand, i use the back of a stanley knife blade which works well when needs must but obviously take the greatest care to prevent serious injury to yourself.

you have to make sure the unit is wired to the A & B 'IN' connections, wiring to the out connections (A.B.C) will be of no use as these should be where the house phones are wired to.

regs

alan

Archived