Security Installer Community

Lcd V Plasma Display Tv's

arfur mo

720p is achieved in 1 single progressive scan, 1080i is done in 2 interlaced scans. so with 1080i it only does 540 lines per scan .

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I recently had to replace my 32" CRT so I have looked into all this pretty well.

LCD is ok up to 32" after that they look **** on standard def signals but ok on HD.

Watch the snooker on a standard res digi signal LCD and most of the colours look awful.

Plasmas have an advantage with their range of colours, millions on a plasma means better looking pictures, also pure blacks are better then on the LCD's.

Plasmas have a glass fronted screen which is much better then a soft LCD screen.

Plasmas run warm, LCD's not so warm, I was told the power consumption is about the same as a LCD has it's tubes on all the time and a plasma is switching all the time which balances out.

If you go looking at TV's in showrooms make sure you get to look at a standard digital signal source, the LCD's can look ok on HiDef 1080p but awful on standard res digital.

I looked at loads and went for the panny 37" plasma, they were doing the extended 5 year warrenty until recently which is worth going for as it's a true Panasonic warrenty.

Second choice was the 100Hz 32" Panny LCD but these are expensive when compared to the 37" plasma.

The 37" plasma does 1080i which is the same as a Sky HD signal, I honestly don't belive you would see the difference on a 1080p signal on a 37" screen, maybe on a 50" yes but the smaller screen is fine on 1080i.

Everyone has an opinion on what's best but most will agree that Panny are hard to beat.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

You happy to deal with them Arfur???They recently went tits up owing serious money.
thanks barooga,i was not aware so thanks for the heads up, see they have been taken over by the tiny owner, but on a quick scan AMD seem looking to push them under by pulling the plug. a real shame as they were one of the long time good quality companies imo.regsalan
Remember alot of dealers are doing five year warranty nowWorth quiet a bit even if the unit is slightly higher in cost
noticed JVC are also offering the same warranty until Dec 25thregsalan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I recently had to replace my 32" CRT so I have looked into all this pretty well.

LCD is ok up to 32" after that they look **** on standard def signals but ok on HD.

Watch the snooker on a standard res digi signal LCD and most of the colours look awful.

Plasmas have an advantage with their range of colours, millions on a plasma means better looking pictures, also pure blacks are better then on the LCD's.

Plasmas have a glass fronted screen which is much better then a soft LCD screen.

Plasmas run warm, LCD's not so warm, I was told the power consumption is about the same as a LCD has it's tubes on all the time and a plasma is switching all the time which balances out.

If you go looking at TV's in showrooms make sure you get to look at a standard digital signal source, the LCD's can look ok on HiDef 1080p but awful on standard res digital.

I looked at loads and went for the panny 37" plasma, they were doing the extended 5 year warrenty until recently which is worth going for as it's a true Panasonic warrenty.

Second choice was the 100Hz 32" Panny LCD but these are expensive when compared to the 37" plasma.

The 37" plasma does 1080i which is the same as a Sky HD signal, I honestly don't belive you would see the difference on a 1080p signal on a 37" screen, maybe on a 50" yes but the smaller screen is fine on 1080i.

Everyone has an opinion on what's best but most will agree that Panny are hard to beat.....

thanks lugsey,

comment's taken on board and much appreciated,

while you can find seemingly good deals on the internet (aka like Eversham's) you can't see the unit for yourself, which after all is the point of researching. showrooms tend to be misleading as florescent lighting makes for an unnatural surrounding to watch tv sets in (unless you live in a knocking shop ;) ).

as much as i'd love to, i've not got the budget for a

thanks lugsey,

comment's taken on board and much appreciated,

while you can find seemingly good deals on the internet (aka like Eversham's) you can't see the unit for yourself, which after all is the point of researching. showrooms tend to be misleading as florescent lighting makes for an unnatural surrounding to watch tv sets in (unless you live in a knocking shop ;) ).

as much as i'd love to, i've not got the budget for a

BTW I haven't heard of the noise problem on plasmas? Just to confirm my Panasonic plasma is super quiet unless you turn up the volume! That reminds me to remind you that a lot of flatscreens are designed to be used with a surround system meaning the on board sound is poor on some. I love turning display models up to full blast and seeing the look on the sales guys face, he knows if he says anything I'll walk! I love being a kid sometimes! :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

BTW I haven't heard of the noise problem on plasmas? Just to confirm my Panasonic plasma is super quiet unless you turn up the volume! That reminds me to remind you that a lot of flatscreens are designed to be used with a surround system meaning the on board sound is poor on some. I love turning display models up to full blast and seeing the look on the sales guys face, he knows if he says anything I'll walk! I love being a kid sometimes! :lol:

he! he!,

know what you mean,

the ons'e i've heard in situ on sets that have been on in houses is from the fans, bit like a pc. fine during noisy battle scenes but might be off putting in the quieter scenes.

i've got a decent surround sound system, blows the mortar out of the bricks in housed 2 streets away :) so it will be run through that.

thanks guys for the comments, if i can return the favour anytime i will - but most likely will be in my Ovaltine area of expertise

seen a Panasonic plasma, full 1080p hd for

he! he!,

know what you mean,

the ons'e i've heard in situ on sets that have been on in houses is from the fans, bit like a pc. fine during noisy battle scenes but might be off putting in the quieter scenes.

i've got a decent surround sound system, blows the mortar out of the bricks in housed 2 streets away :) so it will be run through that.

thanks guys for the comments, if i can return the favour anytime i will - but most likely will be in my Ovaltine area of expertise

seen a Panasonic plasma, full 1080p hd for

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived