Security Installer Community

Part 'p'

mjw

if i came on a installer training day for your equipment would i get a certificate

would i be any less a access control installer because i have only been certified a day

would someone who fitted the locks on the ark be anymore able than me

part p didnt go far enough imho it should have been like corgi/acops

We seem to have our 'wires crossed' here. At no point have i said a 5 day course should qualify you for Part P, quite the opposite. On things electrical people not qualified and suitably trained should not be touching things they know sod all about, especially things like electrics.

Guest anguscanplay
i totally agree with you there cubit

it took me 4 years of just gaining experience and even then i am always learning. a 5 day course DOES NOT make you compentant to do full house rewires but it shows you the best things in mior works ie moving sockets etc. i wouldnt let a apprentice loose on a house rewire that hasnt qualified for less than 3 yars dependant on their knowledge. i also have found through working for various firms that the new young people of today learn your experience then to somewhere with your knowledge. :angry:

point proved by yourself yet again

anyone within the security community attending a " kitchen fitter course " most deffinatly would not be able to rewire a house

,( incidently outside of part p certf) because that is not what they signed up to do they want to know how to install a spur and in some situations they would need to issue a cert to show compliance with part p which they now have the knowledge to do correctly

it took me 4 years of just gaining experience and even then i am always learning.

I'm not going to comment.

a 5 day course DOES NOT make you compentant to do full house rewires

It does actually.

but it shows you the best things in mior works ie moving sockets etc. i wouldnt let a apprentice loose on a house rewire that hasnt qualified for less than 3 yars dependant on their knowledge.

Nope, can't work that bit out.

i also have found through working for various firms that the new young people of today learn your experience then go off to somewhere with your knowledge. :angry:

So you still work for the firm that "trained" you?

For the currently practicing sparks out there, just what is the correct state of affairs regarding what can and can't be done re Part P.??

I have contributed to this thread in what i hope is a constructive manner and i've made it clear my views on qualifications/competency/capable etc on both Electrics and the slight diversion of 'Engineer'.

Yes i'm qualified sparks, 16th edition but not practicing. Also have other quals (as many/most people do) but not relevant to discussion.

Just who can do what??

Andrew

Guest anguscanplay
For the currently practicing sparks out there, just what is the correct state of affairs regarding what can and can't be done re Part P.??

I have contributed to this thread in what i hope is a constructive manner and i've made it clear my views on qualifications/competency/capable etc on both Electrics and the slight diversion of 'Engineer'.

Yes i'm qualified sparks, 16th edition but not practicing. Also have other quals (as many/most people do) but not relevant to discussion.

Just who can do what??

Andrew

andrew my new friend go back and read posts#2 and #3

Guest anguscanplay
:oops:

Acknowledged.

I'd had a beer, well, several actually, since it was posted and forgot.

:beer:

been on call over six years now beer just a distant memory

• 1 year later...

Hi all, just stumbled across this topic and i would like a few answers. I have just completed a 2 day minor works course which my boss sent me on. we were advised by our head office to go on this course so i would be compitent to install & test fused spurs on domestic properties. as far as we were concerned, when i completed this course i would be able to go into a domestic property, assess the current wiring , test to see if it came up to scratch and it was up to standard, fit a fused spur to an existing curcuit and have a certificate of compliance for the customer and our own records to comply with current laws and regs etc.

about 5 mins before completing the course, we were then told that to sign off the job we would have to be part p registered and or under a governing body like NICEIC etc.

what i want to know is , was there any point in me going on this minor works course or should i have just completed a part p course?

thanks

Martin

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

Guest anguscanplay
Hi all, just stumbled across this topic and i would like a few answers. I have just completed a 2 day minor works course which my boss sent me on. we were advised by our head office to go on this course so i would be compitent to install & test fused spurs on domestic properties. as far as we were concerned, when i completed this course i would be able to go into a domestic property, assess the current wiring , test to see if it came up to scratch and it was up to standard, fit a fused spur to an existing curcuit and have a certificate of compliance for the customer and our own records to comply with current laws and regs etc.

about 5 mins before completing the course, we were then told that to sign off the job we would have to be part p registered and or under a governing body like NICEIC etc.

what i want to know is , was there any point in me going on this minor works course or should i have just completed a part p course?

thanks

Martin

keep out of bathrooms and don`t connect new circuits and your more than competant now to issue a MWC - thats all thats required

Archived