Security Installer Community

Part 'p'

mjw

Hi all, just stumbled across this topic and i would like a few answers. I have just completed a 2 day minor works course which my boss sent me on. we were advised by our head office to go on this course so i would be compitent to install & test fused spurs on domestic properties. as far as we were concerned, when i completed this course i would be able to go into a domestic property, assess the current wiring , test to see if it came up to scratch and it was up to standard, fit a fused spur to an existing curcuit and have a certificate of compliance for the customer and our own records to comply with current laws and regs etc.

about 5 mins before completing the course, we were then told that to sign off the job we would have to be part p registered and or under a governing body like NICEIC etc.

what i want to know is , was there any point in me going on this minor works course or should i have just completed a part p course?

thanks

Martin

Even if you had done a part P course you would still have had to register with one of the 5 Part P associations such as niceic, eca, napit etc to be a part P installer. Part P is just a chapter in the building regulations thats all. However to be able to certify your own work outside of council building control you need to be a member of one of the 5 associations schemes. Just by passing a part p qualification doesn't mean your qualified to be a part p installer as you need to be a competent electrician. Otherwise its like saying you can replace an air filter so your a mechanic. Part P qualifications, 16th ed, inspection & test qualifications don't teach you to be a electrician they teach you the regulations thats all.

There is a lot of misconception to what is notifiable and what is not. Try this link www.the50plus.co.uk/tech_support/Part_P_Guide.pdf or http://niccertification.com/niceic/mynicei...ed/pocketguide8 it is the same pocket guide but sometimes the links don't work.

Stay away from kitchens, bathrooms and unfortunately outside power (inc security lights) and your ok. Maintenance and changing like for like is ok, new installation or big adaptation is not. Pocket guide says it all tho.

It's not that bad. Not every job needs notifying I probably only notify one or two jobs a month and I'm virtually a full time spark.

So is there a course that can qualify me just to fit spurs for alarm panels,fire etc that i can issue works cert etc???

Even the spark that fits the spurs for us cant answer that question.

Or am i confused by the whole load of rubbish that is part p.

!

the minor works course that i just attended is designed just for the fitting of fused spurs on an existing curcuit. i have also been shown how to carry out a series of tests to ensure the curcuit i am connecting to is installed correctly and that there is suitable earth bonding etc. after installing spur i carry out continuity, insulation, loop and rcd tests and then issue a minor works certificate for the work carried out.

the minor works form is then handed to the customer and the office keeps one as evidence that the work carried out is in complience with bs 7671 regs.

basicly , if there is ever a problem with the customers electrical installation and they try to blame me for the problem, i have evidence to back up my work that everything was working fine after the completion of my work.

what i'm not sure of is that i cannot sign off my work,

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

So is there a course that can qualify me just to fit spurs for alarm panels,fire etc that i can issue works cert etc???

Even the spark that fits the spurs for us cant answer that question.

Or am i confused by the whole load of rubbish that is part p.

Hi Willie: Try www.actmeters.com.

Regards:Andy@Amman Security.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

the minor works course that i just attended is designed just for the fitting of fused spurs on an existing curcuit. i have also been shown how to carry out a series of tests to ensure the curcuit i am connecting to is installed correctly and that there is suitable earth bonding etc. after installing spur i carry out continuity, insulation, loop and rcd tests and then issue a minor works certificate for the work carried out.

the minor works form is then handed to the customer and the office keeps one as evidence that the work carried out is in complience with bs 7671 regs.

basicly , if there is ever a problem with the customers electrical installation and they try to blame me for the problem, i have evidence to back up my work that everything was working fine after the completion of my work.

You don't need Part P sign off if your fused spur is not in a special location such as kitchen or bathroom or outdoors. Have a look at the NICEIC pocket guide link I posted above. It is only work done in "special locations" and "major work or new circuits" that need part P sign off. So make sure your fused spur is not in one of these locations and you can just issue your minor works cert and sign your name on it. If it is in one of the locations,leave it to a registered electrician or call the council for sign off whichever is cheaper.

Generally all fire / alarm panels are at the front door or somewhere by the front door, maybe keypad by door, gubbins under stairs or in cupboard. None of these areas are covered by part P so don't worry about it.

The worst bit for security installers I see is that fixed wired outdoor security lights will come under part P being outdoor power. However i can understand that as you have to make sure correct wire or protection is used for UV and mechanical abuse. Most call outs I get for tripping RCD is DIY fitted outside lights that have got shot cable due to UV and weather damage, full of water or taped up chock blocks. **** thing is it wont stop DIYers from putting up **** lights, it just adds grief for the trades who did a tidy job anyway.

So do a basic course so you can properly fill out minor works, but avoid the special locations and save yourself the red tape.

Hi Martin: You dont actually need to be part P registered or have work signed off that only consists of fitting a spur to a ring or radial circuit as this is classed as a Minor addition. 2 days seems a bit excessive for a mains compliance course, most are only half to one day.

Regards: Andy@Amman Security. :rolleyes:

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

Guest anguscanplay
and unfortunately outside power (inc security lights) and your ok.

not true

The worst bit for security installers I see is that fixed wired outdoor security lights will come under part P

neithers that - this was all clarified in the 2006 update I linked to elsewhere on the forum, as long as the cable exits the building and terminates directly within the housing of the light fitting it is NOT classed as outside and therefore does NOT come under PP notification requirments

Archived