Security Installer Community

Part 'p'

mjw

Can anyone tell me what part 'p' is, and what is/is not allowed??......I.E. can I as an engineer exchange an exsisting P.I.R floodlight for new,can I move an exsisting spur to a new location without being part 'p' certified,Also how do you get part 'p' certified and how much does it cost?????????

This may be a very basic question but i am concerned as my company make the rules up as they go along.Please also no sarky comments :banned:

Guest anguscanplay

it is my own opinion that no person without the correct qualification should ever attempt to work on 240v ac

from my own install point of view we had nsi clarification on this and my understanding is

you cannot make new curcuits

you can do alterations additions replacments and extentions to existing curcuits without needing part p certification unless it is in a prohibited area which is defined as a kitchen,bathroom or garden

however even then if it is in a enclosure requiring tool to open it is classed as outside the prohibited area this means you can do stuff in a pantry type cupboard or airing cupboard without the regs applying.

if the external wiring is connected at point of exit ie security light with no external surface wiring then that is also outside of the regs

any work done would still be regulated under the relevat standards and would need certifiying accordingly

240v ac can kill

I think that pretty much sums it up. Nicely said.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Part p is also only applicable to installations in dwellings or to those sharing a source of supply with a dwelling.

however even then if it is in a enclosure requiring tool to open it is classed as outside the prohibited area this means you can do stuff in a pantry type cupboard or airing cupboard without the regs applying.

So does a door handle now count as a tool?

Can anyone tell me what part 'p' is, and what is/is not allowed??......I.E. can I as an engineer exchange an exsisting P.I.R floodlight for new,can I move an exsisting spur to a new location without being part 'p' certified,Also how do you get part 'p' certified and how much does it cost?????????

This may be a very basic question but i am concerned as my company make the rules up as they go along.Please also no sarky comments :banned:

Part P is a dogs dinner by Messers Blair and Prescott, (BTW I hate Labour and it's taxes and it's lies and it's wars..I could go on :realmad: ) the local councils don't really want to know about inspecting work, just that it's signed off as "part p".

We already have a BS for electricial work called BS7671 (IEE 16th edition soon to be 17th) which details all requirements for electricial work in domestic, comercial and industrial installations. Only Labour would repeat the process and create more red tape in the shape of part p.

IMHO if you are unable to to do a EFLI test and check the overcurrent and shock protection devices by refrence to the BS7671 and relevent electricial qualifications to do so then you have no business touching an electricial installation let alone adding to it in any way shape or form.

What you do in your own house is up to you but for works for Joe Public I think it should be done by qualified electricians only.

I haven't costed part p myself and I don't know if there is a standard rate across the country or if it's down to your local council. the odpm.gov.uk site may have the info you need here on cost.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
So does a door handle now count as a tool?

believe it or not this was one of the things specifically cleared up for the 16th edition it sounded crazy then

to complete the o/ps original question

what paths has anyone taken to get part p certification how much did it cost and has it benifited them

Part P is a dogs dinner by Messers Blair and Prescott, (BTW I hate Labour and it's taxes and it's lies and it's wars..I could go on :realmad: ) the local councils don't really want to know about inspecting work, just that it's signed off as "part p".

We already have a BS for electricial work called BS7671 (IEE 16th edition soon to be 17th) which details all requirements for electricial work in domestic, comercial and industrial installations. Only Labour would repeat the process and create more red tape in the shape of part p.

IMHO if you are unable to to do a EFLI test and check the overcurrent and shock protection devices by refrence to the BS7671 and relevent electricial qualifications to do so then you have no business touching an electricial installation let alone adding to it in any way shape or form.

What you do in your own house is up to you but for works for Joe Public I think it should be done by qualified electricians only.

I haven't costed part p myself and I don't know if there is a standard rate across the country or if it's down to your local council. the odpm.gov.uk site may have the info you need here on cost.

Thanks for your replies guy's...I am with you on this one luggsey part p is a dog's dinner but i think as a rule electirical installation(240 v ac and above) should be carried out be an electrican and security install should be carried out by a security engineer and never the twain should meet(in a ideal world)...as for spurs an electrican SHOULD install,(as an engineer i am able to install a spur as good as any electrican) but for the sake of public liability etc better to get a spur installed professionally just like a intuder alarm!!!!!!!! :whistle:

http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/index.asp?p...CFT4GQgodU3zPgA

If it's good enought for Tommy Walsh it's good enough for me.

(can't mention price though as it's a public forum :whistle: )

No part P in Scotland though :P we just rely on 16th edition.

:)

Good God HOW MUCH??????....think i am in the wrong industry(just looked at your link.....i am in shock) :unsure:

is'nt tommy walsh a gardiner????...and you are soooooooooooo right...no prices in a public forum

Archived