Security Installer Community

Part 'p'

mjw

(as an engineer i am able to install a spur as good as any electrican)

I wouldn't like to make statements like that myself. I'd say that sounds like a challenge to me, feel free to post pics of your spurs and associated wiring.

Guest anguscanplay

i was wondering why you were an engineer but not joined us on the trade forum

apparently we shouldnt be having these conversations on the public site

make the jump across and show us youre credentials

Thanks for your replies guy's...I am with you on this one luggsey part p is a dog's dinner but i think as a rule electirical installation(240 v ac and above) should be carried out be an electrican and security install should be carried out by a security engineer and never the twain should meet(in a ideal world)...as for spurs an electrican SHOULD install,(as an engineer i am able to install a spur as good as any electrican) but for the sake of public liability etc better to get a spur installed professionally just like a intuder alarm!!!!!!!! :whistle:

I agree this is "ideal world stuff" but part P was going to be tougher then it is now and I think it will be tougher later on....

I worked for a security/electricial company for years and all the alarm boys that started as lads did the first year at college on the electricial course to give them enough experiance to install a spur, I know "most" alarm installers can install a spur well but do you ever check the ring is complete, the EFLI, the polarity, the correct size protective device, the correct shock protection values/device operation? I would love to hear HONEST responses to that question from any others here.....I bet the answer is no. That's why a sparks should do the electricial bit, the only bit the alarm installer should do is connect the panel to the spur, and/or run the cables in and fit the spur but not the connection/testing. If by chance someone was killed by faulty work on the electricial instalation an inquest can quote verse and chapter from the BS 7671, just imagine the claim from an injured party.........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay

lets wind luggsey up and all go on the kitchen fitters course only two days long and fraction of the cost

or what about the plumbers " learn to fit a fused spur and nothing else course " even easier to pass

or basic electrical installation for under 18s - multiple guess questions and two chances at it

Guest anguscanplay

mjw

i was wondering why you were an engineer but not joined us on the trade forum

apparently we shouldnt be having these conversations on the public site

make the jump across and show us youre credentials

lets wind luggsey up and all go on the kitchen fitters course only two days long and fraction of the cost

or what about the plumbers " learn to fit a fused spur and nothing else course " even easier to pass

or basic electrical installation for under 18s - multiple guess questions and two chances at it

Why not the "I'm an intruder alarm installer so I can do as I like course" which lasts as long as a free coffee in the local wholesalers as you buy your 2.5/JB and spur...

That's the course some do...... :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
Why not the "I'm an intruder alarm installer so I can do as I like course" which lasts as long as a free coffee in the local wholesalers as you buy your 2.5/JB and spur...

That's the course some do...... :P

advise for you all when decorating juniors bedroom dont run the roller over a open ceiling rose it makes you jump

have we got a "shocking"little yellow thingy

advise for you all when decorating juniors bedroom dont run the roller over a open ceiling rose it makes you jump

have we got a "shocking"little yellow thingy

You should have got a sparks in for removing those safety electricial covers! :roflmao:

:ghost::oops:

My Amateur Radio Forum

mjw re the spur post.

Without wanting to start a flame war, i can see your point but disagree with the generalisation.

How many alarm engineers are qualified electricians. ANd how do you work your cable sizings out, disconnect times and do your minor works cert? What is an acceptable Zs value to you?

I never once said i was a qualified electrican and as such i COULD'NT issue a minor work cert,but you will also note i did say i think electrican should be installing spurs NOT security engineers and as such I DON'T install spurs etc(as i am not qualified(partp) but was trained to do so) so i don't have to work out cable sizing and discon times .And as for not being PART of the trade forum it is simple really due to the behaviour of some so called professionals(that take part in this forum) i don't think i will ever apply for trade status...but as for my qualifications/credentials...3 years apprenticeship with relevent c+g 185 parts 1,2,3 and 18 years within the security industry(for those that are intrested) :whistle:

Archived