Security Installer Community

Do You "want" Part P?

luggsey

did you actually read the copy of the building regs I posted? TBH theres nothing on your list that might need notifying (until you get into a special location) and if it did a small cheque to building control and the jobs legit anyway

not saying I havnt used the same excuse myself once or twice, but its certainly NOT illegal

most of what she wants done is in the kitchen area - aka wet area's under part 'p' so definitely comes into play and you no me so well for my love of regs :rolleyes: .

i just don't want that sort of work, i can make far more and better money elsewhere doing the work i actually like doing best (important to me) and i already have all the proper tools for. this is same as i don't want or do door entry or fire alarm work, not dissing these trades in any way, just not my personal preference to do that kind of work - just don''t get my juices running simple as.

i don't know if you ever worked for one the real big firms, you'd some engineers prefer installation, others service dept i enjoyed both but imo service better fun for the fault finding aspect. installation engineers seemed to sub-devide into those who would prefer private house work (like me) others who prefered commercial, just the way your personally wired if you see what i mean :fear: .

like i say to clients i can fix washing machines no probs, i just can't work out how to program one - so i us the wife :lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I cant for love nor money understand why any normal/average person would want to vote labour.

And cherie, well, i dont agree with violence towards women but shes the exception.

I HATE LABOUR TOO MATE :angry: WITH A F.......G PASION

IS'NT IT ABOUT TIME WE ALL STUDD UP TO THIS COUNCIL TAX AS WELL :realmad:

most of what she wants done is in the kitchen area - aka wet area's under part 'p' so definitely comes into play and you no me so well for my love of regs :rolleyes: .

i just don't want that sort of work, i can make far more and better money elsewhere doing the work i actually like doing best (important to me) and i already have all the proper tools for. this is same as i don't want or do door entry or fire alarm work, not dissing these trades in any way, just not my personal preference to do that kind of work - just don''t get my juices running simple as.

i don't know if you ever worked for one the real big firms, you'd some engineers prefer installation, others service dept i enjoyed both but imo service better fun for the fault finding aspect. installation engineers seemed to sub-devide into those who would prefer private house work (like me) others who prefered commercial, just the way your personally wired if you see what i mean :fear: .

like i say to clients i can fix washing machines no probs, i just can't work out how to program one - so i us the wife :lol:

regs

alan

like i say to clients i can fix washing machines no probs, i just can't work out how to program one - so i us the wife :roflmao: VERY TRUE :unsure: me too

• 2 weeks later...

IS part P ****? Yes. Is it stopping cowboy sparks, No. IS it lining the pockets of the institutions and the goverment , Yes.

That said, I believe that all electricians should be registered and the fear of dodgy work should have the same fear as gas work seems to have. Few people would fit a boiler but many would try and rewire something.

I test rental property electrics for living and you can tell from the offset whether its going to be a good day or not. You can tell whether the house has been rewired DIY, Builder or electrician within the first 10 mins.

The terrible and dangerous things I have seen over the years is mind boggling. Electrical installation work needs to be done by an electrician who is competent and follows the regs. Don't get me wrong a keen diyer or competent person can do a good job but they don't have the test equipment to test the installation after the work is complete. You would not believe how many non continuous ring mains I find after some DIY sockets have been installed. Normally in some taped up choc bloc under floor boards somewhere and been like that for 20 yrs.

The reason why I believe this is the case? I was a competent DIYer, builder, house renovator which retrained as an electrician and now is NICEIC registered. When I look back to some of the stuff I had done in the past through ignorance, well I'd rather not remember. Most well meaning landlords I meet do stuff that just isn't right but they think it is good enough. I am not a money making con merchant, I work on electrics only 3 days a week and only work for landlords who I have mutual trust with.

Part P though. Poorly executed. Although as a NICEIC full contractor though hasn't cost me a jot. I get free domestic installer as a full contractor and each job costs

Guest anguscanplay
Don't get me wrong a keen diyer or competent person can do a good job but they don't have the test equipment to test the installation after the work is complete.

er thats the whole reason for the introduction of PP - its down to the BCO to test the work on their behalf

cost you a dam site more to be a "proper" alarm company ;)

Agreed.

We have just done the 1 day ACT part p corse.

So we can now issue a small works cert for fuse spur's

another 200 quid down the pan.

I have been fitting fuse spur's for 20 years

Guest anguscanplay
Agreed.

We have just done the 1 day ACT part p corse.

So we can now issue a small works cert for fuse spur's

another 200 quid down the pan.

I have been fitting fuse spur's for 20 years

but at least now you can prove it.

Archived