Security Installer Community

Dvr

Guest marky

arfur, i would agree with you but doubt this thing conforms to the atx std. Plus as the fans have started spinning the 12v rails should be live. I would bet one of the 5v rails or ground has gone, but without a meter, who knows. Arfur is sort of right if this was a pc and it had a power button connected to the mobo, but if you do wire things wrong it would still try and power up once you put 5 v on the correct wire

hi james,

not just ATX bu AT too right back to good old amstrads cpc :rolleyes:

i to think it is a psu fault, but susoicious of overheating as it has run for 6 months he could try a freezer spray if he know what he is doing.

local shop should be able to diagnose it, guy wants his system back up pronto so i advise to seek a replacement, perhaps get this one fixed and keep as a spare.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Quite a surprise. That had been a television shop for at least 40 years.
God bless Comet and Curry's for, you know, their personal service and excellent customer care.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Just to confirm what Alan said earlier if the system is under a year old and it was sold as new they should give you a one year guarantee. Fight for your rights and put cowboys like this out of business if need be. It doesn't even look like he is a Ltd business so you can take him on personally in a small claims court.

If the product does not carry a CE mark or if it was sold after July without RoHS approval you could get the guy a hefty fine too!

Guest Alarm Guard
Just to confirm what Alan said earlier if the system is under a year old and it was sold as new they should give you a one year guarantee. Fight for your rights and put cowboys like this out of business if need be. It doesn't even look like he is a Ltd business so you can take him on personally in a small claims court.

If the product does not carry a CE mark or if it was sold after July without RoHS approval you could get the guy a hefty fine too!

I haven't seen where it was bought from, but legally the warrantee period isn't necessarily 1 year even on new items ...... and it is best to keep an open mind. The unit may have suffered a lightning strike or been connected to a faulty camera so even if it was returned there is no certainty that it would be repaired or replaced FOC.

Paul

I haven't seen where it was bought from, but legally the warrantee period isn't necessarily 1 year even on new items ...... and it is best to keep an open mind. The unit may have suffered a lightning strike or been connected to a faulty camera so even if it was returned there is no certainty that it would be repaired or replaced FOC.

Paul

And to add to the above, it has now been taken to bits.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Under sale of goods act 1979 you can claim for upto 6 years against a retailer no matter what the warranty says. It is the retailers responsibility 100% to make sure goods are suitable for their intended purpose and of sufficient quality. Problems with the manufacturer are for the retailer to sort out and none of your concern.

Suggest you contact your local Trading Standards Officer.

Thanks for posting a link to the site

i disagre if its got 1 years warranty then you will have one years waranty on the product

A warranty or guarantee adds to and does not take away from, your rights under consumer law.

That is why most include the phrase ' this does not affect your statutory rights'

just to be a pain arf, AT PSU used to have the power switch direct and then powered the mobo. ATX powers the mobo for wake on lan to work etc

just to be an even bigger pia, the 'post' still performs the look around the power rails on an AT machine, main chips then as they still do today operate in 8086 mode initially to perfom this test, and then tell the psu to go 'hot' if all is ok. it matters not that when you switch on if it's by throwing a switch (AT) or pressing a button (ATX).

did my bot look big in this post?

regs

alan

ok then arf i will bow down to your knowledge.

ps would you mind powering down your pc and shorting yellow to black on a drive and then powering it up?

lol

james

i'm not openning my laptop just for you - it's an Amstrad :banned:

:lol:

regs

alan

Archived