Security Installer Community

Dvr

Guest marky

bought a dvr about 6months ago (probably should have never bought an import) worked fine up until now. had a quick look in it my self and found the hardrive is getting no power. comes up in all chinese writing but when i take the back up battery out it goes back to english. is there anywhere close to the pontefract/castleford(leeds) where i can take this for fixing as i really need this up and running again. can any oneplease explain why this could have happened. i reckon its the power supply because it gives a 12volts supply and a supply to the harddrive. could that be why its coming up chinese writing as the back up battery is flat can someone please advise me on how i can get this sorted.

ps contacted the person i got this off and they said they was going to get in touch with the manufacturers but never got back to me :angry2:

A pic would help no end. Many low end DVR's are all the same with different badges on. Yours could be the same as one we know, or so cheap and nasty we may advise just binning it!

i think 6 months for that money is a bargain to be honest!! but i wont comment further in case i get called an equipment snob again

LOL

You just fit good kit and not cheap cack.

what so know i shud just put it in the bin i dont think so

Well then, i'm afraid you best get the meter out.

Is the battery duff?? - doubt it

+12v ok? - probably, but then 12v on meter (no load) can be misleading (just like my poxy desktop has proved tonight!).

Hard Drive? - quite possibly

Firmware/bios on the M/B?

Unless there is a font of knowledge on here who can diagnose without testing, then a bit of checking will be required....or a visit to the bin.

A

Guest Director of COP Security

When you say the HDD is getting no power are you using a meter?

And if so have you measured the 12v and 5V to the HDD

If you are diagnosing the HDD as having no power because it wont spin it could be a duff HDD. the fact that it changes to Chinese is a bit worrying but this could be caused by the HDD not being recognised or the PSU being unstable.

Don

Archived