Security Installer Community

Wiring Rules

Guest Learning

Guest Learning

Can anyone give me the "legend" to the 6 & 8 core cables when wiring up a system. I have got the red and black sorted as +ve & -ve but do things like ALM and TAMPER etc need to be specific colours or just maintain continuiuty throughout tehe system ?

There is no Standard way of doing it, in fact alot of companies have differ from each other.

The important thing is in that whatever colour scheme you choose, stick to it through the whole installation and generally within all your companies installations, as this will aid long term fault finding.

Red and yellow can be used for power but also green and white is poplular, however if you use the prefered 8 core cable you have four options to choose from.

Colin.

I went to a job

Blue +

White -

Green and brown = alarm

white yellow = tamper

Most odd colours to work with ???

My self

red +

black -

blue yellow = alarm

green white = temper

but a few years ago i was on

white +

green -

red yellow = alarm

blue black = tamper

• 3 weeks later...
Its such a shame my current employer uses blu / yel alarm & red /blk 12V, its pee's me off every time I wire a patio contact

May be the early mornings taking effect, but why?

Maybe because they run contacts on 4-core, therefore they have to use the red and black for tamper or alarm, meaning that when it comes to wiring the panel the red and black cores from the contacts could be wired in with the 12V by mistake if they are not careful.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

*cough* rough *cough* ;)

Never thought of that, bit slow earlier.

I have always done it the way I was taught when I was learning.....and havn't changed.

Green - (earthy colour)

White +

Blue/Black - Tamper

Yellow/Red - Alarm

Now, how about the bell box..... :whistle:

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Archived