Security Installer Community

Wiring Rules

Guest Learning

You could be right. Maybe the thief will even get us to install a system in his house so he can see first hand. :fear: He'd have a shock though if the company didn't maintain the same method of wiring on every install, or used a mixture of double pole, EOL and ID.

Any facet of security, whether electronic or physical is all about minimising risk. It is more risky to have a company's wiring schedule on the net, than the liklihood of a dodgy customer.

You could say that we should all put our engineering codes on here, because the "dodgy" customer might be looking over our shoulder and will get it anyway.

If you saw your alarm company's method of wiring by browsing the internet would you feel confident to use them?

You have a point, but it is very small!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

It is more risky to have a company's wiring schedule on the net, than the liklihood of a dodgy customer.

Yes, I agree.

If you saw your alarm company's method of wiring by browsing the internet would you feel confident to use them?

Yes - you are right, I probably wouldn't.

Allso

• 2 weeks later...

Just a point as regards bell boxes.

The alarm system may have been taken over by a company who use differing colours to the original installer so it would not be right to assume that knowing the company would automatically give you the right colours for any system that it's bell boxes are used on.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

• 2 months later...

As a sub-contractor, I know the colours of at least 6 major companies. What does it matter? What help could it possibly be? Unless you're leaving bare external cables all over the place there shouldn't be a problem.

Most in the industry know //.National Installer.// colours for example, I'd imagine most thiefs with the audacity to try and loop a contact will too.....

Guest Trulloman
Most in the industry know //.National Installer.// colours for example, I'd imagine most thiefs with the audacity to try and loop a contact will too.....

I work for //.National Installer.// and with so many engineers all doing their own thing you have to take each job as they come. If your testing a cable you have to look at the controls and the sensor end and you will see which colours have been used for that particular job/circuit - no problem and secure as each job cannot reflect the norm for the whole companies installations.

I worked for a company in the early ninties where the owner was colour blind (didn't matter which colour he used), he used to bell out each cable when connecting it. The installation were first class and belive it or not he got the colours right each time by the shade of each core.

The only firm I've worked for where all the cars were different colours :P

Yeah we use red yellow blue black on unpowered devices, stops you accidently piping 12v down the red and black

:yes: me too!

If I have legitimate access to an alarm system (say my own or a relative's) - I could inspect the detector wiring. I could then make a reasonable assumption that other houses or businesses with the same company's bellbox outside would be wired with a similar wiring code!

It seems to me that a blank bellbox would therefore be an "even more secure" way of doing things, unless you are going to use different wiring codes for different customer.

The industry don't use blank bellboxes (to the best of my knowledge), so your wiring code may only be as secure as your least trustworthy customer! Hence my surprise at your reaction to seeing such information on display here.

Allso

I have just bought a new house and am hoping to move in within the next 4-6 weeks. I will be installing a new system and it will be signalling. It won't however, have an SAB with my firms logos on it - is there a problem with that?

I have done loads and loads of work in France and it is rare to see a bell at all let alonge one with any type of logo on it. Then again most of their systems are monitored and their theory is therefore you don't need a bell. The problem with that in this country is most domestic cust feels happy with the bell outside becuase it makes the opportunist scanky crack head think about doing over next door instead!

Guest Andy_Wintles_pet_Monkey
I work for //.National Installer.// and with so many engineers all doing their own thing you have to take each job as they come.

Hmmmmm, doesn't that go against //.National Installer.//'s 'regulations'? I suppose with the dealership programe you might find the odd instillation here and there with a different colour code, but I've found it to be pretty rare whenever I've taken over one of their systems that it's not <insert colours>. But if you work for them, you know better than me!

Are they still doing the dealership programe?

I worked for a company in the early ninties where the owner was colour blind (didn't matter which colour he used), he used to bell out each cable when connecting it.

:mfr_omg:

Poor guy wouldn't get a job these days, fair play to him though!

Hmmmmm, doesn't that go against //.National Installer.//'s 'regulations'? I suppose with the dealership programe you might find the odd instillation here and there with a different colour code, but I've found it to be pretty rare whenever I've taken over one of their systems that it's not <insert colours>. But if you work for them, you know better than me!

Are they still doing the dealership programe?

:mfr_omg:

Poor guy wouldn't get a job these days, fair play to him though!

//.National Installer.// didn't tell the dealerships what colours to use either.

Guest Andy_Wintles_pet_Monkey
//.National Installer.// didn't tell the dealerships what colours to use either.

They instructed the company I used to work for to use <insert colours>.

Oh well, not a big deal......

• 2 years later...

Most definately this is the best way , if you use a combination of 4 core and six core ,unless you use this way ,you will drop a b****ck !

Zone Red and Black

Tamper Yellow and Blue

12v Ov Green and white

Most of my work now is on access control , now that gets really interesting !

Archived