Security Installer Community

Working at height regs

So its a methodolgy then? In this case as used by the British Safety Council. No doubt a useful one but still open to interpretation. IE, sie rules state no ladders, then thats it, no ladders

Yes thats nearly right cubit but not so much what BSC teach and only them but what they teach as a standard along with many others,as you have pointed out as such there is no set in concrete standard used as a yard stick for methodolgy which is a bit stupid to me but there you go thats how it is at the moment but if you read thru the method I've explained its a good base from which to operate and makes sense of a system designed to protect people not to stop a job being carried out.

And yes again site rules if stricter than regs take presidense over regs so if no ladders no ladders no steps no steps but the alternative has to be passed on to the customer if it costs more than ladders so the customer can inforce as tight a control as it likes but it will have to pay for it !

Paul.

quasar tell me what is a " brief period of time " -for me its twenty minutes

is that a typo or does it say

no typo. I just copy/pasted H&S guide

for me "brief period of time" is just enough to service/fit a bell :P

i wonder if the 'three points' rule would be covered if you used a waste harness like the type telecom guys use up the telegraph poles?

In principle it sounds a useful idea, BUT of course those poles (and we've loads here - both power and phone are overhead) are designed for harness use - footrests in place, strong points for harness mounting, etc.

That said, the electric people use cherrypickers anyway, but BT (Openreach now I guess) do seem to like their harnesses :rolleyes:

is that not what comes out the toliet after having a clear out???

no, it's what comes out of me when the ladder has a little 'settlement' moment :unsure:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

In principle it sounds a useful idea, BUT of course those poles (and we've loads here - both power and phone are overhead) are designed for harness use - footrests in place, strong points for harness mounting, etc.

That said, the electric people use cherrypickers anyway, but BT (Openreach now I guess) do seem to like their harnesses :rolleyes:

i'd say the ladder has the footrests element, so if your attached the a waist belt to the ladder, i'd assume then you could work legitimately hands free?

mind you, in my time have had ladder's hit several times by cars, and twice by invalid chairs while i was aloft, and yes with cones and warning signs set out, so the thought of being tied to the ladder is a bit unsettling.

i also know of at least 3 ceiling fitters who have walked backwards of the manual scaffold towers :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i'd say the ladder has the footrests element, so if your attached the a waist belt to the ladder, i'd assume then you could work legitimately hands free?

mind you, in my time have had ladder's hit several times by cars, and twice by invalid chairs while i was aloft, and yes with cones and warning signs set out, so the thought of being tied to the ladder is a bit unsettling.

i also know of at least 3 ceiling fitters who have walked backwards of the manual scaffold towers :rolleyes:

regs

alan

See, there is a use for sky hooks. :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay
no typo. I just copy/pasted H&S guide

for me "brief period of time" is just enough to service/fit a bell :P

2. no lone working on a ladder + footing the ladder

The options for securing a ladder are as follows:

where this is not practical, use a safe, unsecured ladder or a ladder

supplemented with an effective ladder stability device

if this is not possible, then securely wedge the ladder, eg against a wall;

if none of the above can be achieved, foot the ladder. Footing is the last resort

and should be avoided

i meant that bit highlighted - see it says i can use a unsecured ladder so if they contradict themselves ?

2. no lone working on a ladder + footing the ladder

The options for securing a ladder are as follows:

where this is not practical, use a safe, unsecured ladder or a ladder

supplemented with an effective ladder stability device

if this is not possible, then securely wedge the ladder, eg against a wall;

if none of the above can be achieved, foot the ladder. Footing is the last resort

and should be avoided

i meant that bit highlighted - see it says i can use a unsecured ladder so if they contradict themselves ?

They don't fall from a great height when driving a desk :rolleyes:

Guest anguscanplay

lunched in kfc today with the wife and kids -theres a sparky with his head inside the top of one of the ovens - live - steps positioned sidewards and deep fat fryer behind him

got quite irate when i started telling him it was all wrong lol

lunched in kfc today with the wife and kids -theres a sparky with his head inside the top of one of the ovens - live - steps positioned sidewards and deep fat fryer behind him

got quite irate when i started telling him it was all wrong lol

Just proves i was right when i tell the kids that you don't know what sh*** they serve up in there. :whistle:

Archived