Security Installer Community

Wireless

bellman

Have you fitted wireless and how reliable was it.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Have you fitted wireless and how reliable was it.

• fitted it and was happy with no problems.
    • Fitted it but had the occasional problem.
    • fitted it and had excessive problems.
    • fitted it had problems, removed it and installed wired.

As this topic often crops up please vote and give us your opinion.

As it is in the public forum (so non trade can see for themselves what the engineers really think) no comments are allowed, just votes.

I'll pop a poll in the trade area if eng's want to discuss their respective merits.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not an engineer.

In my experience, wireless is not worth the hassle, but to be honest, i've only used 1 wireless system, so i could be biased? But if they're selling it, no matter what price, it should do what it's supposed to! I purchased a Wireless Micromark System, which can be found in Argos, for around

Doesn't the 1st post contradict itself a little..?

As it is in the public forum (so non trade can see for themselves what the engineers really think) no comments are allowed, just votes.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

banghead

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Doesn't the 1st post contradict itself a little..?

He obviously meant that by voting you will be giving your opinion :):rolleyes:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to rebel and write anyway...

A couple of weeks back I was sent to install an Infinite Wireless jobby, 5 PIRS, 2 smoke detectors and 3 contacts. I had NO previous experience in this system before but from an installers point of view it was a piece of cake once I had read the Engineer manual. All worked a treat, but I would never want something like that in my own home. A couple of points I didn't like about it were...

1) The panel battery back up was a battery similar to what you would find in a cordless telephone.

2) The external sounder had a transformer to feed it, which was a plug in Job.

The amount of RF interference does make me question the reliabilty of wireless,Hardwired all the way!!

• 5 weeks later...

I'll pop a poll in the trade area if eng's want to discuss their respective merits.

Regards

Bellman

where can i get a wireless dummy box :hmm:

• 5 months later...

It is very rare for wireless alarm system to be interfered, even though it is possible to jam the airwave rendering it useless (saying that there are so many ways to tamper with any wired/wireless alarm if intruder have knowledge of the system).

If you have a system that seemed interfered, its more likely caused by other issues such as:

1) Setup or sensor placed incorrectly.

2) Trigger delayed by the built-in sleep timer to extend battery life

3) Out of range and hence the signal reach receiver sporadically.

• 4 months later...

I've installed and maintained many Eurosec CPX systems and found them to be very reliable as long as they have been set up in the correct manor RE: Receiver noise/ Noise Threshold / RSSI and sensor sleep time.

As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

• 3 weeks later...

When are all you dinosaurs going to wake up and smell the coffee???????? wireless is the way to go and all you old timers are going to be left behind by all the new young blood that understand the new technology and grasp it with both hands.

Wires are in the past and with the cost of copper cable @ the moment its the best place for it, come on guys get a grip and learn how to fit it then you wont be getting the problems i know you are all going to back with, if something is fitted incorrectly then your going to have problems, wire free that is fitted correctly will give you years and years of trouble free reliable service.

I have fitted over 400 wireless systems made by Visonic I fit in 1/2 a day leaving me the other 1/2 to service systems, now Visonic also have a wirefree bell box the hardest longest part of the install if the spur, the systems are programmed up the day before so if there are any problem its sorted before i get to site so unlike your WIRED systems i do not have to spend time with the meter looking for faults.

Anyway maybe you should stick to your WIRES and let the young guys like me clean up with the new trusted wireless systems installed in less than a day while you old guys crawl in the loft for a day trying to get a cable to the bell.

Good luck with your knees in your old age.

:P:P :P :P :P

Guest anguscanplay
When are all you dinosaurs going to wake up and smell the coffee???????? wireless is the way to go and all you old timers are going to be left behind by all the new young blood that understand the new technology and grasp it with both hands.

Wires are in the past and with the cost of copper cable @ the moment its the best place for it, come on guys get a grip and learn how to fit it then you wont be getting the problems i know you are all going to back with, if something is fitted incorrectly then your going to have problems, wire free that is fitted correctly will give you years and years of trouble free reliable service.

I have fitted over 400 wireless systems made by Visonic I fit in 1/2 a day leaving me the other 1/2 to service systems, now Visonic also have a wirefree bell box the hardest longest part of the install if the spur, the systems are programmed up the day before so if there are any problem its sorted before i get to site so unlike your WIRED systems i do not have to spend time with the meter looking for faults.

Anyway maybe you should stick to your WIRES and let the young guys like me clean up with the new trusted wireless systems installed in less than a day while you old guys crawl in the loft for a day trying to get a cable to the bell.

Good luck with your knees in your old age.

:P:P :P :P :P

whats your average zone RSSI with the visonic equipment?

I may agree with some of your thoughts, but in regard to the reliability of hardwired compared to wireless. Hardwired gets my vote, simply because of the information that travels between the detection cct and control panel, it is more reliable. EG. I have a keyboard where the keys are individually switched, (not a membrane) it cost me a little more but I get a more +ve response from the keyboard than i did from a wireless KB, all key presses were seen as opposed to 5% loss on wireless. Obviously hardwired systems are prone to induction and the problem of having to install a systems in a domestic situation where you cant lift boards may warrant a wireless system. I have installed many wireless systems and find them to be very reliable but not as reliable as a hardwired.

As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

Agreed, but as the nature of a wire free system it is designed to controlled via the remote key fob which in my own personal view is a lot customer friendly then using a keypad.

Using a keyfob distances the user from the actions of the system therefore the user is less likely to know what is happening beyond the use of the fob

Guest anguscanplay
if you want percentages then its 100%, I have never had a problem as the system I use can have upto 16 repeaters installed there will never be a site unsuitable.

so you dont log the values when you commision then (you do know what i`m talking about - dont you?)

Archived