Security Installer Community

"From Technical Terms to Kit List...."

Guest Dobbin

Guest Dobbin

Mister Dave

Dobbin where were you intending to buy all this kit

THere are a few different webtraders selling them online. I will probably just pick the website that works out the cheapest.

Also never point PIR's so that they can see the window. 93% of normal headlight of the car (for example) is pure heat which may trigger the PIR.
10/15 years ago maybe, but most modern PIR detectors are immune to triggering from white light sources. And also cannot detect light or heat through glass.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Maverick.

I'm not sure what you mean?? What are Sky hooks and what does a long weight from wholesalers mean?

Dobbin

63007[/snapback]

Add both sky hooks and a long weight to your list, the sky hooks will help you hold the PIR's in place while you fix them into position, And a long weight will save you loads of time when running the cables, All good suppliers stock them.

Dobbin

I have been following your posts and i think if your putting alll this effort in and running cat5e all over does this mean you are going to have alot of expensive stuff and computers all over this house ?

If so i think Redcare would be the best purchase but then that would put a end to you doing the system yourself.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

10/15 years ago maybe, but most modern PIR detectors are immune to triggering from white light sources. And also cannot detect light or heat through glass.

63052[/snapback]

I must have said something unclearly. 93% of normal lamp is heat which is not white light, but infrared radiation.

Also glass doesn't prohibit all of the radiation. Try to sit next to window when sun is shining. You can feel the heat.

Of course it needs light to be directed to PIR detector's lens otherwise as you said PIR cannot detect light or heat through glass.

Guest Dobbin

Nova

Hmmm. I did see this monitored service when I was looking around at installer sites. It seems to be getting more popular. The company puts in the alarm (quite cheaply in some cases - must be subsidised?) and you sign up to 1,2 or 3 years? at X pounds per month.

In effect I suppose that it is another form of insurance. You pay your money and hope it will never happen. It could work out very expensive over the years? It is certainly worth thinking about, however, I was looking forward to fitting the alarm myself. Hmmmm..... I will have to think about this one!

Dobbin

Nova

Hmmm. I did see this monitored service when I was looking around at installer sites. It seems to be getting more popular. The company puts in the alarm (quite cheaply in some cases - must be subsidised?) and you sign up to 1,2 or 3 years? at X pounds per month.

In effect I suppose that it is another form of insurance. You pay your money and hope it will never happen. It could work out very expensive over the years? It is certainly worth thinking about, however, I was looking forward to fitting the alarm myself. Hmmmm..... I will have to think about this one!

Dobbin

63142[/snapback]

No, you've got it a little wrong. Redare has been around for eons. It is a special service by BT in conjunction with your designated Alarm Receiving Centre. Redcare monitors the tel line constantly. If it gets cut you used to get a Police response. Then came along Redcare GSM, which is Redcare with a GSM back up. The Police won't respond to line faults on new Redcare systems, hence Redcare GSM becoming standard. If the line is cut the GSM can still send any burglary or PA signal. If both transmission lines go down the Police are called (qualifies as a confirmed alarm). Redcare and Redcare GSM are pretty standard for commercial premises and for domestics with contents above a certain value.

Most companies don't subsidise the installation - the higher annual cost for the monitoring is because Redcare charges are high. I think that if you had the level of content value in your house that demanded Redcare GSM then your insurance company would have insisted on it. If you are worried about having your lines cut there are other GSM alternative diallers on the market apart from Redcare that could be used, but unless the system is professionally monitored there is not much point at all.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Archived