Security Installer Community

"From Technical Terms to Kit List...."

Guest Dobbin

Guest Dobbin

Okay

Thanks for all your help and advice (and comments!) from my questions on Technical Terms thread. After all that debate about the various dos and donts in the thread I have decided on my kit list.

Control Panel - 1 x Texecom Premier Expert 48 Texecom Premier Expert 48

PIR - 4 x Texecom MirageTexecom Mirage

I need a bit of help with this one. I thought the Texecom Mirage series looked good (or am I wrong?) but I cannot decide on whether to use the Quad or the Dual Technology. Which one is best or most stable (thinking about limiting - or removing altogether - the number of false alarms).

Battery 7.2ah 12V Lead Acid Battery x 1

Door contact x 2

Panic Button x 1

Smoke Detector - 2 x Texecom Exodus Optical smoke & HeatTexecom Exodus Optical smoke & Heat

Cable 8 core x 1 reel 300 mtrs

3A unswitched fused spur x 1

Remote Keypad x 2 Texecom Large LCD with Proximity DetectorTexecom Large LCD with Proximity Detector

Proximity Keytags x 5

Internal Sounder - 1 x Twin Piezo Sound Bomb

External Sounder - 1 x Texecom Odyssey 2e BellboxTexecom Odyssey 2e Bellbox, 1 x Dummy Odyssey 2e Bellbox

Speech & Text Dialler x 1

PC Connector - 1 x Wintex USB ConnectorWintex USB Connector

PC Software - 1 x Wintex Software Wintex Software

Costs

The whole lot should come to around please dont put prices on the open forums

I decided to stick with one manufacturer where I could (Texecom). Any comments or advice on my choices?

Dobbin

Everything there looks in order,

As for quad or dualtech, dualtech every time for me.

The difference being the quad only uses a single type of detector (passive infra red in this case) and the dualtech as the name implies uses another technology as well (usually microwave but sometimes other types as well such as ultrasonic.

Both the different detection technologies need to be triggered to cause an alarm condition and therefore they are less prone to false activations than their quad counterparts.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest Dobbin

Thanks Bellman

The difference in price between the quad and the dual tech is only £10 per unit. With what you say that will be well worth spending.

Dobbin

I would personally upgrade the bell to the full featured version myself. The full featured version comes with an extra sounder and tamper switch. If you go with dual techs, follow the instuructions carefully as they are not "plug and play devices" (although saying that, neither is a standard PIR) You need to adjust the microwave sensitivity carefully, as the microwave technology in the dual tech can detect through solid objects. I would set everything up on a bench before I went and installed it. That way you can get rid of any potentially tricky bits before everything is screwed down. There's nothing worse than trouble shooting a bellbox problem when it's p*ssing it down!

Trade Member

You may also want to consider adding an extention speaker to the list of parts.

Handy if you intend to use chime.

Regards

Bellman

Guest Dobbin

Antinode.

An extra tenner for the full bellbox but worth it.

A bench test. A brilliant idea. I never thought of doing that but I will now!

Bellman

Can you point me in the right direction here. What is it used for, where would I get one and does the Texecom Premier take one.

Thanks

Dobbin

Another thing,

Carefull planning now will save hours of grief and cursing later, plan all the cable runs carefully making sure to avoid all potential sources of problems.

My number one tip would be READ THE MANUALS CAREFULLY, as some things need to be mounted in a particular way or at a particular hight (as antinode mentiond above).

The Texecom manuals are very good and have clear explainations in them of how to connect everything up.

Antinode made a good point earlier about testing it on the bench first so you can familiarise yourself with all the different parts.

Once you have read the manuals and tried everything on the test bench, READ THE MANUALS AGAIN, then you will discover all the bits you missed the first time you read them. ;)

I wish you well with your project

Regards

Bellman

Bellman

Can you point me in the right direction here. What is it used for, where would I get one and does the Texecom Premier take one.

Thanks

Dobbin

62999[/snapback]

It is just a repeater speaker as the internal keypad one isn't very loud, they are usually fitted where increased volume is required for example when "chime" is enabled. if you were upstairs and somebody opened the front door you wouldn't hear the "bleep bleep" from the keypad as the volume isn't sufficient, on the other hand you could have the extension speaker fitted upstairs or in another convenient place to allow you to hear any sounds the system may make.

Yes the Texecom premier can take one and the purveyor of the rest of your alarm parts should be able to supply you with one.

Regards

Bellman

Guest Dobbin

Bellman

Thanks again. What did you mean by

plan all the cable runs carefully making sure to avoid all potential sources of problems

What sort of problems were you thinking of? (I think I did read somewhere about keeping the alarm cable away from mains power cables?)

Part of the project involves a detached garage at the bottom of the garden. I want a remote keypad (to arm/disarm when leaving via the garage) and a Dual Tech PIR. Would I also need an extension speaker? anything else?

How would I run this cable to the garage? Underground I presume, but how do I protect the cable?

Dobbin

Archived