Security Installer Community

Dantech 12V DC Power Supply

If it pops repeatedly then you change the camera,

61913[/snapback]

If it pops repeatedly, the customer gets feed up and wraps tin foil around the fuse or changes it for a 10A when it should of been 1A or less.

I can see his point in saving money by the customer doing the repair, but if the jobs were checked and all readings taken are within what they are supposed to be, then the reason for a callback would be for faulty equipment which could of been damaged, so its a chargable call !

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Fuses can blow occasionally due to many reasons, a construction guy using a heavy duty power drill and induce some spikes etc. We have 1500 indoor domes out in the field, and the chance of an odd fuse blown here and there is very common (very occasionally and not repeatable
wouldn't you be charging the customer for this event and made suitable provsion within a service and maintenance contract?
However, it is not a good customer experience. Whenever they see a camera went black, they would immediately think the equipment is faulty and request an immediate fix. Sending an engineer to change one fuse is expensive, slow, troublesome and not good customer experience.

It is faulty.another reason for ensuring that the equipment is suitable and correctly sized for the installation.

Blowing fuse is no big deal, and of course they are there for a reason. But the process of changing it should be made easier. By having LED visible from the outside would help a lot before we an engineer arrive.

Are you aware that "Voltages in excess of 50 Volts are sufficient to produce currents in the human body which can prove fatal. Currents in excess of 50 milliamps (50 thousandths of 1 amp) and, depending on the duration of the shock even much lower currents, can kill." you would also need to provide adequate training and a means of proving that you trained the client in the correct method of fault finding and that because of this they were competant to do so.

Just by some careful design, it should solve the problem; ie separate compartment for changing fuse. I have spoken to Dantech, they value my inputs. Their only concern is the extra cost of a slightly more sophicated metal box which I am happy to pay more for these added features. Let

Perhaps you may consider fitting an ACT-2323 mains/spike suppressor as a standard feature for your new installs, and also on existing installs getting the engineer to supply & fit one if he's ever called to check a fuse blowing..? or upon commisioning the system.

Now we

post-1-1122108398.jpg

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Are you aware that "Voltages in excess of 50 Volts are sufficient to produce currents in the human body which can prove fatal. Currents in excess of 50 milliamps (50 thousandths of 1 amp) and, depending on the duration of the shock even much lower currents, can kill."

61942[/snapback]

Being a saddo that watches way too much discovery channel I can tell you thet the 'Mythbusters' proved that just 6mA across the heart can kil. :whistle:

egg03064.gif

Colin has got that info from the electrical regs, hence why a split load CU comes with A 30ma rcd, especially when stuff is connected to the ring-main such as garden equipment, so the 50ma figure banded about is from that IIRC, anyway, we digress....

Ahhhhhhh but then again guy's it's only a fuse :sucks:  :mm:  :bsflag:

62037[/snapback]

Only a fuse that the installation company wants the customer to change.

Last post for me on this topic, i think this topic has had its day.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Whilst I do disagree with the customers changing fuses and the statement that a blown fuse is no big deal, I can say that I had problems on a site with the exact same PSU. Not always the same fuse blowing and all cables were tested and current readings checked. Changed to 2 x 2amp PSU's and all has been fine for 3 months.

Archived