Security Installer Community

Stepladders

Hi.

We did a job last week in London and the site manager was a nightmare we was not aloud steps or ladders on site they had hired the push along small towers from HSS.

I can understand the steps point of view to a level but there was rooms on site we couldnt wheel the rigs in to and it was hard sometimes not to damage walls or door frames.

So what elevation method are you using is it practical will it fold into my Focus and where did you get it from.

We also had 6 externall cameras to fit we couldnt use ladders so asked to use the on site picker we have the IPAF but no machines where aloud to be operated while he was off site :realmad: he had took the afternoon off so we used this time to mount the cameras with the ladders ;) we are still gonna have to set them up god knows what we are going to do when we get back.

I do realise that there is a need for Health and Safety but sometimes people really take it too far.

Regards.

Garry.

Monday tomorrow :no:

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

We get this all the time, steps and ladders are only meant to be used for access to a safe working platform and not to be worked from, what a load of Bu!!, wait for the EN Regs because in spain they still use wooden scafolding, now this should be fun pushing a wooden scafolding tower around (three orange boxes tied together)

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

I do realise that there is a need for Health and Safety but sometimes people really take it too far.

59316[/snapback]

I fully agree, not so bad working for one of the nationals, but it would be a nightmare as a smaller co/sole trader. When I was in the Dominican the scaffolding was being erected with some sort of twine as clamps. it was very entertaining to watch the local jumping about on the different levels.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Not being able to use the pickers while the geezer was off site was just plain out of order, i personally would have walked off site and billed his building firm for wasting our time.

What a jobsworth moron

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Its very common for ladders not to be permited on site, But step ladders is a first for me. On any site induction we are told never to go on the top rung or above 2m (aleast when nobodys watching) :ninja: .

If your step ladders meet EN131 then I cant see a problem. Even on sites that do not permit ladders I have most of the times got that changed by telling the site agent,general forman or what ever title he has given himself that:

A. Our ladders meet EN131 and are rated 150kg.

B. Our ladders carry a tag stating they are checked every 6 months by a

qualified ladder technician ;).

C. We have all been trained in the correct use of :whistle: .

D. It is documented in our method statement on how we will use ladders

correctly whilst on site.

E. Our company H&S rep will happily attend site to talk about any issues

the builder has regarding the use of ladders.

So unless you have totally upset the site person this may work.

cheers PJF

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Thanks guys.

It was bonkers we pay a lot of money for our steps and ladders like I said in my first post there is certainly a need for H,S we even carry a generic meathod statement and means of works but this guy was very anal to say the least he threw the the painters wooden steps in the skip. :)

Regards.

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Guest G.J.M
Not being able to use the pickers while the geezer was off site was just plain out of order, i personally would have walked off site and billed his building firm for wasting our time.

What a jobsworth moron

59321[/snapback]

one of our security engineers got told off by site h&s for being on the ladders for too long without a break.(putting up a bell) :blink:

I bet that the site agent will turn a blind eye to ladders and steps when the project is well behind schedule and the building is being handed over the following week ;D

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I bet that the site agent will turn a blind eye to ladders and steps when the project is well behind schedule and the building is being handed over the following week ;D

59325[/snapback]

Same lines I was thinking breff ;)

I have been on many a site and told I couldn't do this and that, but going back to the same place the last week of handover and theres ladders and steps everywhere and people frantic to get things done lol

Also depending on who your contract is with, do your first fix during the fit out and if your dealing with the client direct, ie not through the building contractors then you may be able to come to an arrangement with your customer to 2nd fix and commision once the building has been handed over.

We always prefered to get cables in while it was a building site and finish off during handover and into commisioning and training.

Archived