Security Installer Community

Stepladders

Ankalads are approved by health and safety.

We have got them on ours now.

There is a stupid law about time scales up ladders tho, about 30 mins max i think then a 15 minute break (or the otherway round?!)

How can these people keep imposing such stupid laws?

It is a totally blameless socioty now with no-one accountable for their own actions.

Why is it wrong to read and accept the sites health and safety policy stating no ladders etc on the assumption that should you go against this ie you want to use ladders/steps etc you cannot hold the site responsible should you fall off?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Slightly off topic - a year or so ago we were installing an alarm in a small commercial premises with shiny wooden floors and high ceilings. Towards the end of the second day on site I get a call from one of the engineers saying that he had just taken the other to hospital. Whilst standing on a ladder, the bottom had slipped out. The top of the ladder left trail marks going down the wall, together with a very sad trailing hand print. :cry: The ladder landed flat, the engineer laying prone in his original position. Knocked most of his front teeth out on one of the rungs!!

How did this happen you might ask? Well, they had ladder stays which they weren't using and during the day apparently, one engineer would stand on the bottom rung if they had to go "high". On this occassion the engineer decided to go up by himself. Wasn't really that high - but when you are 15 stone and fall flat on your face from any height it won't be good. So that it doesn't happen again we make him remove his teeth now when working above 10ft. :whistle:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I also knocked out my front teeth with a pair of pliers. I was cable tieing six Pyros to a cable tray and to make sure the ties were tight I used my pliers to pull them tight and guess what? the pliers slipped of the tie and smacked me in the mouth knocking out my two front teeth, what a smart move! This really causes you a problem trying to talk I could not say f*** properly for ages.

So be careful lads, its a jungle out there!

You learn something new every day, didn't realise there was a time limit to using ladders. I've been on loads of large jobs before where I've been up ladders and steps for most of the day and the issue has never been mentioned at any of the H&S courses I've been on either. The only time they get mentioned is when we are told that they are for access to a safe working platform only, not for working off of.

On the subject of daft things done with equipment, when I was an apprentice I once stabbed myself in the eye with a neon terminal screwdriver, I've always said they were useless and dangerous!

On the subject of daft things done with equipment, when I was an apprentice I once stabbed myself in the eye with a neon terminal screwdriver, I've always said they were useless and dangerous!

59403[/snapback]

I've always found my eyes quite useful! :ninja:

However I do have a crack in m y front tooth courtesy of a hammer and a dark cellar in my install day's :cry: , £120.00 to fix and it fell off after 14 months. :(

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

:) Hee Hee what an ugly looking lot you must be one eye and no front teeth. :P

Regards.

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Guest IM_Alarms

I did a sliding ladder once and managed to drop everything and grab the side rails in time the whole weight of the ladder and me to smash into the tiled floor (just like punching the floor in a push-up position). Then done a roll onto my side and just screamed for a while, until I remebered I'd locked myself in for 'safety' (remote, deserted industrial estate in Tottenham). I spend about an hour on my back wishing I had a mobile (yes many years ago)before I gritted my teeth and slid right out of there into my van and drove home without using my hands........... :cry:

Hi.

We did a job last week in London and the site manager was a nightmare we was not aloud steps or ladders on site they had hired the push along small towers from HSS.

I can understand the steps point of view to a level but there was rooms on site we couldnt wheel the rigs in to and it was hard sometimes not to damage walls or door frames.

So what elevation method are you using is it practical will it fold into my Focus and where did you get it from.

We also had 6 externall cameras to fit we couldnt use ladders so asked to use the on site picker we have the IPAF but no machines where aloud to be operated while he was off site  :realmad: he had took the afternoon off so we used this time to mount the cameras with the ladders  ;) we are still gonna have to set them up god knows what we are going to do when we get back.

I do realise that there is a need for Health and Safety but sometimes people really take it too far.

Regards.

Garry.

Monday tomorrow  :no:

59316[/snapback]

I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT HSE FOR THE NEW RULES....RULES FOR A REASON...ITS A PAIN I KNOW BUT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A STATISTIC...ME NEITHER :no:

Extract from HSE website on working at heights:

"Try to avoid the need for work at height where you can; where you can

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

Archived