Security Installer Community

Question about PIR's

Guest aechlin

Guest aechlin

Hi chaps

Was woken at 7 yesterday morning by the alarm, RKP said it was the kitchen PIR had gone into alarm. The first time (and only time) this happened last year, some flowers drooped over in the kitchen and subsiquently set it off. This time however nothing has moved at all. Its set on its highest sensitivity, when installed, I sealed the cable entry so no bugs could hibinate in there. My only thoughts are either a ghost or a spider has walked across the lense. If I fitted a dual tech, would that be amune to spiders and bugs - or am I talking complete twoddle? I have seen some talk about Optec's range of dual techs on here, are they a solution?

Thanks

Alistair

Hi chaps

Was woken at 7 yesterday morning by the alarm, RKP said it was the kitchen PIR had gone into alarm. The first time (and only time) this happened last year, some flowers drooped over in the kitchen and subsiquently set it off. This time however nothing has moved at all. Its set on its highest sensitivity, when installed, I sealed the cable entry so no bugs could hibinate in there. My only thoughts are either a ghost or a spider has walked across the lense. If I fitted a dual tech, would that be amune to spiders and bugs - or am I talking complete twoddle? I have seen some talk about Optec's range of dual techs on here, are they a solution?

Thanks

Alistair

46777[/snapback]

Adjust the sensitivity down a tad and that should cure your problem, it shouldn't be set at it's highest sensitivity setting.

Dual techs will aleviate your problem, but if you set them to high sensitivity then you'll be no better off.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest RICHL

what type of PIR is it though?

do what bellman said first, but if its a cheapy PIR then change it for a decent one.

Guest Peter James

There are a few other things that can cause a fa other than the detector actually seeing something.

What make of detector is it? Is it the nearest or furthest detector from the panel? have you checked the panel for AC Noise?.

It is quite difficult to fault find remotely experience helps you spot things visually the unexperienced would miss.

Pete

Is your boiler in the kitchen?

Does your heating come on at about 7am?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Hi chaps

Thanks

Alistair

46777[/snapback]

Just wondered if its sited correctly - is it looking into the window (or two if its a 'greenhouse' style lean-to kitchen) and so being triggered when the sun comes up? Just a thought, especially if it is a cheapie or showing its age.

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guest aechlin

Im still chuckling at the boiler gag - nice one ^_^

A few details

Checked the system for an earth fault, meter read 0.6 volt which by Menviers manual isn't a concern.

The detector is the furthest away from the panel.

The boiler is in the kitchen, however it cycles depending on the temperarture of the cylinder. It can cycle 5 - 6 times a night/morning, and also when the system is set in the daytime when out at work.

Detector is sited on same wall as window on the diagonal, so looking at two walls 90 deg. The blind is shut every night. The kitchen is at the back of the house and receives sun light in the afternoon (7am when fa).

The bit I am going to get shot for. I WILL change them imeadiately for more tried and trusted detectors by your recomendations. Please bear in mind that these detectors have behaved well under test, under alarm and detected when unset, and been fully functional for over a year. It is a Intellisense IS-215T.................... am I still regarded as a member of this great knowledgeable forum? :cry:

I get back from work last night greeted by the wife pointing at a up-turned mug on the livingroom floor and saying "get rid of it"!!!!! a black spider the size of a shuttlecock. This made me wonder.............

Alistair

IMO the intellisense are ok for most domestic situations.

1 false alarm in a year does not necessarily mean the detector is poor!

There are hundreds of possibilities for false alarms, and methodically eliminating the most common ones usually solves the problem fairly quickly.

In this instance, I would start by putting the sensitivity jumper back to normal.

A spider moving across the face of a PIR will, more often than not, cause an activation. There's not really much you can do about it and its difficult to prove.

If you don't know......ask.

Archived