Security Installer Community

Alarm cable

Guest Chewie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not easily, its on a pretty convoluted path. It goes up through the understairs cubboard ceiling (where the panel will be), along the landing into the airing cupboard through holes in the joists. Up the inside of the airing cupboard into the loft.

Chewie,

If you live in UK you use UK - type alarm cable. UK Regulations prohibit to use cable that is not multistranded and tinned. Also Reg's say that length of every core has to be _SAME_ . In bt cable this isn't true. There are also Reg's about the material of which material the coating (correct term??) of the cable has to be made of.

So: :!: use ONLY UK - type alarm cable in UK :!:

If you want to use telephone cable you have to move here in coldpole.

Not easily, its on a pretty convoluted path.  It goes up through the understairs cubboard ceiling (where the panel will be), along the landing into the airing cupboard through holes in the joists.  Up the inside of the airing cupboard into the loft.

38504[/snapback]

Been there, done that. Carpets and floorboards up is the only way. Just remember to screw them down (no nails!) so access the next time is easier :cry:

Leave it in situ, just be careful (if not already) when terminating and providing it isn't disturbed too often it will operate satisfactory for years. I look after a couple of system's installed by 3rd parties, taken over by locals and eventually acquired by the nationals and they are donkey's years old. Not ideal but nothing to loose sleep over.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Been there, done that. Carpets and floorboards up is the only way. Just remember to screw them down (no nails!) so access the next time is easier  :cry:

38507[/snapback]

No carpets down at the moment and the chipboard flooring is loose, thats not the problem, the problem is I think the emmersion tank would have to come back out.

The main problem with solid core is when terminating it in terminal block. You tighten the screws up, breathe on it, and it snaps.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

The main problem with solid core is when terminating it in terminal block. You tighten the screws up, breathe on it, and it snaps.

38552[/snapback]

yes if it is a screw itself that dirctly touches the core. usually there is something between the screw and the core so it doesn't snap too easily.

anyhow if it is stripped without experience and knowledge there will be a cut on the core and it will snap where the cut was when you tighten it up.

practising to do it correctly will take years and many hours of fault finding to find out it was badly stripped single core wire that caused you troubles and only after then you start to do it carefully enough.

There thou are strippers for single core wires which won't damage the core..

I know this had been said many times before:

BT single core wire is NOT designed to be stripped and fixed by screw.

It is designed ONLY for IDC connectors and insertion with the correct tool.

Using it for alarm systems is just asking for trouble (eventually). :!:

Archived