Security Installer Community

Alarm cable

Guest Chewie

I know this had been said many times before:

BT single core wire is NOT designed to be stripped and fixed by screw.

It is designed ONLY for IDC connectors and insertion with the correct tool.

Using it for alarm systems is just asking for trouble (eventually). :!:

38568[/snapback]

OKAY OKAY!!

but i am still alive and i don't have to wake up to fault find snapped CAT3 cable eventhou it is the only cable type we use here.

I do not know how do you handle your cables there but I do not have any problems with CAT3 single cores snapping!

Our trainees can make them snap easily in the beginning but after practising for a while they know a way to strip it nicely.

anyway this is useless. UK regs says that use only UK type alarm cable. So what other options you have there???

I guess that i have used single stranded cable with alarm systems more than you all together so don't tell me it is unusable.

I do perfectly with it.

Can you use the BT cable to pull through a piece of string then use that to pull the alarm cable?

38503[/snapback]

why not just use the bt cable to pull thru a 8-core???where does the string come into it :cry: amateur by name etc.. :whistle:

BT single core wire is NOT designed to be stripped and fixed by screw.

It is designed ONLY for IDC connectors and insertion with the correct tool.

Is that so......... what cable did they use before IDC connectors were in place then? :whistle:

I think you meant to say, the reason IDC connectors were invented was because the BT Cable used to snap regularly on a screw connections the the GPO used to use.

Glad I got some debate going here :lol:

Anyway I got my answer, just need to make sure I am careful with the cable. I will make sure I leave plenty of slack at the ends just in case.

Thanks all for the replies. :yes:

Is that so......... what cable did they use before IDC connectors were in place then? :whistle:

I think you meant to say, the reason IDC connectors were invented was because the BT Cable used to snap regularly on a screw connections the the GPO used to use.

38587[/snapback]

GPO..your showing your age now canty!!!!its //.National Installer.// & bt to us youngens :whistle:

GPO..your showing your age now canty!!!!its //.National Installer.// & bt to us youngens :whistle:

38598[/snapback]

Its not that long ago that screw terminal blocks were the norm.........

Anyway you will know all about sound powered phones from your days in the yards............., which proves i aint that old yet.

Archived