Security Installer Community

Alarm cable

Guest Chewie

Is it ok to use 3 pair bt phone cable for alarm installations rather than regular 6 core alarm cable, if not can anyone explain why.

Many thanks

Chewie.

Chewie, if you search this forum you'll find endless discussions on this topic.

In summary the answer is NO. :no:

Main reasons are that it is not stranded so is less flexible, the conductor breaks easily causing faults, etc. It also doesn't conform to various standards which are there for good reasons. :o

And bt is more expensive so it makes no eccomomical sense either

38473[/snapback]

OK thanks, so flexibility is the only reason. ?

The reason I ask is because I had to run a cable from where my control panel is going to be to where I am putting the bellbox. It had to be routed inside the airing cupboard underneath the floor where the emersion tank is. I was having some work done on the plumbing and the plumber needed to remove the emersion tank so this was the ideal time to run the cable. Thing is at the time I did not have any alarm cable (it was a Sunday so could not get any) only 6 core bt cable so I used that as I had to do it there and then. All the rest of the cabling will be done with proper alarm cable. So providing once the cable is in, there is no movement of it, there should not be a problem. So far I have never had a phone line fail due to broken cable.

Sorry for not searching properly

OK thanks, so flexibility is the only reason. ?
NO. Did you read my post?
Main reasons are that it is not stranded so is less flexible, the conductor breaks easily causing faults, etc. It also doesn't conform to various standards which are there for good reasons.

Or Peters?

And bt is more expensive so it makes no eccomomical sense either

Yes I did read your post.

It also doesn't conform to various standards which are there for good reasons.
For all I know these reasons are flexibility of the cable, covered in point 1, would you care to expand on these reasons.

Cost was not an issue as I already had the bt cable

I'm just trying to help by summarising the opinions of people much more expert than me.

I decided to follow their advice; despite having kilometres of BT cable I haven't used any of it in my alarm system.

You sound like the sort of person who wants to make up their own mind.

The detailed information is out there if you really feel you need to find it (I didn't) .................... :yes:

That Is why I am here to get advise, I do not have a closed mind and am open to others opinions.

But the way you phrased your last post was as if the answer was staring me in the face and I could not be bothered to read it.

Yes I understand the flexibilty issue, and the cost (which was not an issue in this case).

You posted "It also doesn't conform to various standards which are there for good reasons".

Fine, but I would just like to know what they are.

Ok people chill, i think in this particular case, you had no choice but to use bt cable due to the airing cupboard scenario. As above its not what should be done, but it will work. I mean its not the end of the world if one cable is incorrect, would be a different matter if a company had installed the system.

Obviously i would recommend if possible rerunning the cable in alarm cable, but if your happy then i shouldnt lose any sleep over it

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

OK thanks monteey, rerunning the cable would be an absolute last resort (would be a lot of work) so if the bellbox works fine with the BT cable (which it seems no reason it should not) then thats fine with me.

Just out of interest though, if the problem is flexibilty with the cable (seems the only problem until someone informs me otherwise) what makes it unsuitable for alarm systems and yet suitable for telephone wiring. You would not want your phone cable breaking any more than your alarm cable. Seems to me that phone lines should also be wired using alarm cable. :lol:

Archived