Security Installer Community

Takeover system liablity [Split - Abacus 15R Panel]

4 hours ago, MrHappy said:

nah, you stick a new bell up... & just use the sub's code to clear the tamper ?

If the banner text still read "Happy Alarm Co." too bad 

Its a shame but the original programmer/co keeps the liability. Its something I want to change because it should be the incoming co/person. Unfortunately it isnt. Panels that allow code defaults are a liability. However i know how it looks but check your policy because you arnt fully insured they chase the one that is. If thats you oops

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

34 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

Its a shame but the original programmer/co keeps the liability. Its something I want to change because it should be the incoming co/person. Unfortunately it isnt. Panels that allow code defaults are a liability. However i know how it looks but check your policy because you arnt fully insured they chase the one that is. If thats you oops

I don't get this

Your incoming and previous company is liable? 

20 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I don't get this

Your incoming and previous company is liable? 

If you did the last programming then the person yes person not co that did that is the one.

One would assume no support contract or expired you cant be liable

You need to 'prove' it. If you last 'programmed' it your liable. If new co didnt change the 'programming' then whoever last did carries the liability.

Bear in mind its not the client you will have an issue with its the insurer. 

The client wont care because everyone is insured to include this.

Unless

you reset just the codes and left the old maintainer with all the liability

I don't see how you can prove any liability in that way.

So if the panel is pre-programmed the manufacturer is liable...? If the customer changes their own code that is a programming change...?

It is should a grey area surely. The last person to work on the system yes but last to touch the programming would be hard to prove?

There are genuine but rare situations that codes only is useful for your own stuff.

13 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I don't see how you can prove any liability in that way.

So if the panel is pre-programmed the manufacturer is liable...? If the customer changes their own code that is a programming change...?

It is should a grey area surely. The last person to work on the system yes but last to touch the programming would be hard to prove?

There are genuine but rare situations that codes only is useful for your own stuff.

re manufacture yes that is why they have defaults.  Its the same on intruder and fire, set defaults.

If you 6wb program something unfortunately you are liable for it. You may have done it right at the time, maybe 12 years ago, but if anyone inherits your programming thats what they did.

Your programming, your issue. Its the way it is today. 

Just now, Imnotshankled said:

In all fairness I don't mind when a panel is engineer locked and when you try to default it defaults the user code only 

IMO anyone you doesnt program lock (engineer lock isnt the right word)their config will have an issue and so will their insurer.

However the programming is the IP of the programmer. The equipment etc belongs to whoever purchased it

6 hours ago, james.wilson said:

IMO anyone you doesnt program lock (engineer lock isnt the right word)their config will have an issue and so will their insurer.

However the programming is the IP of the programmer. The equipment etc belongs to whoever purchased it

Great , so lock all panels and no one can prove who locked it and how the programming was done last or by who

Seeing as hkc doesn't have a back door , unless you know of one (barring being connected to securecom and know your remote code not exactly a back door tho)