Security Installer Community

False alarm (pir)

22 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

i dont, without knowing the cause just slowing down the sensor is hiding the issue and making for a potential no detection

QFA 

Dual-techs are designed for specific environments, and usually have a cheaper pir in them. People think because of the name and they cost more they are better, but in a small room like lounge they are worse than a cheap pir. Upping the pulse count only hides the problem and lowers your security. You need to find what causing it. If the detector is old change it for a quad element like an Optex RX 

Hi all. Many thanks. 

I believe it was kit 2:

https://texe.com/uk/products/series/wireless-kits/premier-elite-series/

So just a standard pir. I have another in the hallway and another in the kitchen and a wired one upstairs and a wired dt in garage. And a contact on the front door.

I hope you can see the basic pic of my layout. Pir is in bottom right corner. 

I doesn't point to anything that moves. We have no pet. It does point to a wireless thermostat which on the wall opposite to the window if that helps.

Im thinking of putting it in the opposite corner next to the window but then that's near a radiator which I guess is no good. And if I have it by the bay window it will be looking back at the windows and patio doors. These pour through light in the morning (although not at 4am in the morning lol).

It is secure to the wall. It's about 3 inches from the corner so is secured on one side. I just used the same location as the previous pir which was put in by a company before I moved in. 

Cheers again. 

Screenshot_20200426-155916.png

Looks the best location fo both rooms if its wireless you could swap it with another detector if the fault follows the detector then replace it, if the fault reoccurs in the lounge then its something environmental that your missing, I see nothing in that plan (unless you missed out some helium balloons from a recent party) that would cause fa's  

• Upvote 1

Yer I wouldn't use any of the wireless kits apart from 0005 on the odd occasion it has most of what I need.

Agree with above, looks like the most sensible position, I'd swap it with one from another room for now. If the fault reoccurs in the same room swap for a quad or possibly DT.

Many thanks I will follow all your advice to hopefully get this sorted.

Just one last thing - could it go off by something a postman walking past the bay window or lights of a car or a loud car or something? There is a small gap in the blinds in the bay window at night. 

Ill see how much a quad is. Probably worth the investment to be honest.

FYI I was hoping you'd all scream it was the wireless thermostat interfering or something! Ah well. 

Cheers again. 

Edited by bennynoneck

You never know there maybe wireless interference but you have to start somewhere and you have no evidence of that.

PIR's cannot detect through solid objects whereas the microwave part of a DT can.

Your looking for something that could cause a sudden change in temperature of >5C within the 90 viewing angle of the passive.

24 minutes ago, bennynoneck said:

Many thanks I will follow all your advice to hopefully get this sorted.

Just one last thing - could it go off by something a postman walking past the bay window or lights of a car or a loud car or something? There is a small gap in the blinds in the bay window at night. 

Ill see how much a quad is. Probably worth the investment to be honest.

FYI I was hoping you'd all scream it was the wireless thermostat interfering or something! Ah well. 

Cheers again. 

PIR wont really see through glass but if the sun is glaring in and its suddenly shadowed who knows, they are unlikely to be activated by white light though most passives have white light filter lenses 

All great info thanks. 

https://www.citysecuritysystems.co.uk/intruder_equipment/intruder-detectors/texecom-premier-compact-qd-w

I assume this is what I'm after? It's a wireless quad. If so that's a decent price I'll order one tonight, maybe two and beam pair them lol. 

I'm going to move it maybe a foot away from the corner just in case it's a draft from between the patio doors and curtains.