Security Installer Community

Analogue CCTV and Balun

Hi all.

baluns. They should be easy, for me, pain in the butt.

Query-Cat6 cable, analogue system (using concept pro 5in1 cameras onto a concept pro recorder) Balun king baluns. I find these very temperamental, but anyway got 3 out of 4 working but the last one just wont have it.

swapped cameras (they are new) with a spare, see screen image.

12v down same cat6.

Install is in 20mm galv conduit, 20mtrs.

Checked camera locally with baluns works fine, checked with same baluns then installed, see the result. Have also swapped baluns, no different. Cable is fine, no nicks, new.

ideas?

B1745B29-4EF5-40DE-8A2D-2AF48CCDDD6E.png

2 hours ago, Plosscrot said:

Hi all.

baluns. They should be easy, for me, pain in the butt.

Query-Cat6 cable, analogue system (using concept pro 5in1 cameras onto a concept pro recorder) Balun king baluns. I find these very temperamental, but anyway got 3 out of 4 working but the last one just wont have it.

swapped cameras (they are new) with a spare, see screen image.

12v down same cat6.

Install is in 20mm galv conduit, 20mtrs.

Checked camera locally with baluns works fine, checked with same baluns then installed, see the result. Have also swapped baluns, no different. Cable is fine, no nicks, new.

ideas?

B1745B29-4EF5-40DE-8A2D-2AF48CCDDD6E.png

Normally balun fault

What's voltage at can?

Could be the galvanised trunking causing screening?

If you have swapped everything around to test for faulty kit (looks like a possible faulty balun to me)

I would then be trying to isolate the camera on a fresh battery to check for ground loop or voltage issues.

If the camera is bolted straight onto the galv you may have a ground loop even tho you are running baluns.

Doubt an STP (tho Cat 6 isn't STP as standard) or conduit would interfere with a single balun run.

2 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

If you have swapped everything around to test for faulty kit (looks like a possible faulty balun to me)

I would then be trying to isolate the camera on a fresh battery to check for ground loop or voltage issues.

If the camera is bolted straight onto the galv you may have a ground loop even tho you are running baluns.

Doubt an STP (tho Cat 6 isn't STP as standard) or conduit would interfere with a single balun run.

Ive swapped the baluns out. I even made a test rig (bout 2mts cable) so I could confirm the camera, which I got working.

Voltage is stable 12vdc from a 1A psu 

The inly thing I can think of is it might need cat5/6 screened if the cable is interfering with the galv conduit.

Suppose I best rewire the damn thing again using twin track.

1 hour ago, Plosscrot said:

Ive swapped the baluns out. I even made a test rig (bout 2mts cable) so I could confirm the camera, which I got working.

Voltage is stable 12vdc from a 1A psu 

The inly thing I can think of is it might need cat5/6 screened if the cable is interfering with the galv conduit.

Suppose I best rewire the damn thing again using twin track.

So put new cable in same one , no screen 

Change galvanised trunking to plastic