Security Installer Community

Sitting PIR's

jb-eye

Jef,

I think it was me that posted the original question you're talking about, in another topic...

After reading the replies to your question I'm a bit more confused, as I'd almost abandoned my plans to face a couple of PIRs at windows.  But if it doesn't really matter. then it was make things much easier for me in terms of concealing wiring.

The PIRs I've got are Texecom Reflexes.  I know they're pretty basic, but I think they have white light filtering.

Does anyone think there will be a problem with this?

Mike

29316[/snapback]

Mike, read the manufacturers instructions that come with the pir's.

They will tell you the correct and recommended way of siting them.

a fiver says they recommend you DO NOT point them at windows.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

The PIRs I've got are Texecom Reflexes

Good little passives, but I always install them on SLOW pulse. Should`nt have any problems, we have thousands installed facing windows.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

we have thousands installed facing windows.

29323[/snapback]

I still think that this is bad practice but i seem to be in the minority here...

never mind, i'll keep on installing them that way until the manufacturers instructions say otherwise.

Regards

Bellman

I still think that this is bad practice but i seem to be in the minority here...

never mind, i'll keep on installing them that way until the manufacturers instructions say otherwise.

Regards

Bellman

29325[/snapback]

Just been looking at a few detector instructions and the general rule sems to be "Do not install in direct sunlight".

The false activations come from sunlight hitting the pyro.

In most cases, with PIR's mounted at ceiling height and the angle of the sun, direct sunlight does not hit the detector only it's detection zones.

This is why it very rarely causes problems (ie. a room with landscape views at sunset/sunrise when sunlight is shining directly on to pyro)

If you don't know......ask.

Just been looking at a few detector instructions and the general rule sems to be "Do not install in direct sunlight".

In most cases, with PIR's mounted at ceiling height and the angle of the sun, direct sunlight does not hit the detector only it's detection zones.

This is why it very rarely causes problems (ie. a room with landscape views at sunset/sunrise when sunlight is shining directly on to pyro)

29328[/snapback]

Perhaps it's just me that's old fashioned Bri, :unsure:

I was always taught NOT to point them towards windows but to terminate them onto solid objects. :yes:

Granted technology has moved on in leaps and bounds in the intervening years since I was an apprentice but it still feels wrong when I see them mounted facing windows.

Our install teams still point them into rooms as well. :huh:

Regards

Bellman

I suppose it could be classed as good practice.

I don't have a firm preference either way, as long as the points of entry are covered.

29334[/snapback]

Yeah, points of entry and reliability are the key factors here.

If it works for you then all well and good. :)

Not sure what the standards say on this point though, perhaps it would be worthwhile checking to be sure. :unsure:

Regards

Bellman

Guest mike2004

This is what the Reflex instructions say on the matter:

post-3165-1098784544_thumb.jpg

I think in view of the general advice given, I'll try and angle the PIR slightly off from the window, although it will still face in that general direction. The house is well set back from the road, so headlights shouldn't be a problem, and the window is a bay one, so the PIR will only see one of the panes.

Mike

29328[/snapback]

I agree, its more to to do with direct light on a PIR than facing a window.

To the bosses of this site, what about an image of a PIR when said word is typed.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived