Security Installer Community

Sitting PIR's

jb-eye

I would say you follow the manufactures instructions/advice, otherwise you are up the proverbial creek
Yeah its funny how 90% of pet detectors say they need mounting at 6"6"" and are often mounted just like regular passives at ceiling height. Its almost funny as they usually state that you must make sure no pet can get within 6" of the sensor, so if its mounted at 6"6"" we`d all better just have pet rats.

so lets get this right:

Dont cover Windows,

Dont cover Fires, Radiators, or any heat sources

Dont cover any where the Sun goes,

Dont cover anywhere with moving objects,

Dont place near any vents,

Dont place in any room with Flourescent lights,

If we folllow instructions to the book we`d never fit any passives.

The instructions as I see them are just guidelines based on ideal situations, which of course never occur anywhere except in the factory testing room.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Dont cover Windows,

Dont cover Fires, Radiators, or any heat sources

Dont cover any where the Sun goes,

Dont cover anywhere with moving objects,

Dont place near any vents,

Dont place in any room with Flourescent lights,

100% accurate there. you can't word it any better.

We as security engineers have to take this information on board, weigh up the pro's and the con's and come up with a suitable mounting position for our detector.

It's always a compromise. The spec is never always correct. We either fit the detector to the specification and take the easy way out claiming it's sopmeone elses fault for the false as they wrote the spec, or we use our own judgement and fit the detector to a position to give the optimum coverage yet reduce the chances of a false. This position could still mean a P.I.R. faces a window.

We are the gardians. We may be a long way down the chain but we are the creators. A salesman makes a spec. The spec may be right. It may be wrong. We jump in and remedy any potential probnlems.

We make the systems. not the salesman. He sells for his comission. We install the alarm to protect the customer. We are the gods here. We decide the system.

Tony

ACE.gif

I agree with all that Compost.

We decide where`s best to locate in any specific area, while still to the best of our abillity ensuring that we maximise the area of coverage.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

True but it depends on how you word your quotes i suppose.

Also i would argue that if someone put a hand through the window and whipped an ornament would you expect the alarm to activate? In mid winter  when its blowing a houlie maybe, but i would'nt gaurantee it.

29594[/snapback]

In this case the room wouldn't be protected only with PIR???

Archived