Security Installer Community

Updating my PIRs

Hi.

Fitted an Abacus 8 system to my house some years back, it has served me well.

As I have been dogged with random PIR sourced false alarms over recent years and also as they are looking rather dated I would now like to replace them with more modern units.

Thought about replacing with duals this time around and wondered what any recommendations might be, need to be reliable as I am spending longer periods away and false alarms are causing problems with neighbours.

It is not a monitored system

I have 5 to replace in rooms approximately 13' x 13' and would look to spending up to £125 in total, less preferably.

Any suggestions for replacements would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Installed it probably 20+ years back.

FA's have been spread over that period really, not that many overall I suppose, want to lessen the risk of annoying neighbours now that I'm away from home more.

Just looking for a face lift and update really, only cheapos first time around from memory.

Bosch bluelines are my favourite. Whatever you fit follow the manufacturers guidelines on placement, and fit them level, not aimed up or down.

at 20 years i'd strongly recommend a new panel and bellbox and properly testing all the cables too. All the capacitors in the panel and bell will be going high esr by now.

Agreed with all the above really.

If it's time to change the PIRs, it's time to change the panel if its 20 years old.

DA are long gone and if it's a plastic case model look for scorch marks around the inner PSU PCB (hidden by the alarm PCB normally)

Although ironically Bosch (who bought DA) are still in the UK security market as you can see, just not selling actual alarm panels right now.

And I'm with PJ in that dualtechs are not the 'obvious' answer; PIRs have come a long way, and, as you've said it's DIY (although trade fitters can be guilty)

placement and system (layout) design is 80% of a successful installation this trade. I have dualtechs in a couple of rooms and outhouses, but most rooms

I have Quad PIRs (from the same manufacturer so they all look the same) as there is no need for DTs everywhere.

With decent PIRs and something like a Scantronic 9561 or a Euro Mini, you could still achieve your budget BTW.

But remember it's only cheap if you're time is free. Sounds like this system has taken up quite a bit of your and your neighbours time/goodwill to date?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

My first choice would be this quad detector:

https://www.pyronix.co.uk/products-and-solutions/kx15dq

Easily available online for around a tenner each. Great value imo.

If you are thinking about updating the panel it depends on what options you require. If like most you would like to control your intruder system by using an App then the Pyronix Enforcer HomeControl+ would be ideal. This may be a little expensive though and you would also need a expander for your detectors. Certainly worth considering though imo.

https://www.pyronix.co.uk/products-and-solutions/enforcer-homecontrol-panel

As for a straight swap for you Abacus the the Pyronix Euro Mini would take some beating. Again easily available online for approx £65 which is outstanding value.

Btw i am not a Pyronix Rep but have been installing their equipment for 15 years and highly recommend it.