Security Installer Community

monitor and dvr in airing cuboard

Dwm90

hi there,

This might seem like the king of stupid questions... ive been to price up a cctv install today and the customer had complained with

every location i suggested for the dvr and monitor... the only place he seemed ok with was the airing cuboard upstairs which has a working cylinder in

has anyone every done this surely it would get too hot?

My main concern would be the hard drive too. Suppose monitor will be switched off most of time.

I'm sure the purple hard drive can manage up to 65 degrees C tho . How hot do you think the cupboard is?

maybe just factor in some early replacement costs if on contract or warranty 

Not sure buddy... we have a combi so can't remember last time I was in one at a guess about 26 degrees maybe? They wouldn't be anything near the dvr I.E towels etc just a clear shelf cheers guys glad I've got some reassurance il see how we get on maybe I'm thinking they get alot hotter than they do

15 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

if its got a tank in it, it will be a lot hotter than 26

Usually, but not if it's one of those thermal master jobbies, the big white ones that run at mains pressure, they're pretty efficient & cool outside.

I still wouldn't myself, though.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

21 hours ago, datadiffusion said:

Usually, but not if it's one of those thermal master jobbies, the big white ones that run at mains pressure, they're pretty efficient & cool outside.

I still wouldn't myself, though.

We have an airing cupboard with a cylinder. when the new cylinder went in as you described and the cupboard became the coolest room in the house. We had to install a tiny rad to compensate.

On 28/09/2016 at 9:10 PM, Dwm90 said:

Haha sometimes buddy I don't no what customers expect, we must be magicians 

After they have complained about the fan noise at night they will complain about the cobwebs. You're on a hiding to nothing mate with residential cctv.

How did you get on?

• 1 year later...

You went for putting the equipment in a set of draws over the airing cupboard? I would have went with the airing cupboard all day long. We have put a few systems in them and so far not had any issues. 

Putting them in lofts we have hd complaints about fan noise if above a bedroom but none from airing cupboards as of yet. 

1 hour ago, durcanservices said:

I would have went with the airing cupboard all day long. We have put a few systems in them and so far not had any issues. 

Putting them in lofts we have hd complaints about fan noise if above a bedroom but none from airing cupboards as of yet. 

Airing cupboards and lofts!? These are some of the worse places for kit like this.

Bedroom sounded sensible to me if the system is quiet.

Agreed mate. Never had any issues or call backs and they was the sort to let us no so happy days! And was on the draws not in them not sure if that's what you meant.

Edited by Dwm90

4 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Airing cupboards and lofts!? These are some of the worse places for kit like this.

Never had a problem bashing them in lofts and cupboards , so assume you walk away if they insist .....

Only issue I see with loft is as a house basher , the house Lasher's lash the stuff in and customer never goes up to see the mess 

I will have to dig out the pictures from our house survey.

I thought the surveyor was taking the picture through several cobwebs in the loft. They turned out to be the wires... literally stretched between points the shortest distance.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

26 minutes ago, datadiffusion said:

I will have to dig out the pictures from our house survey.

I thought the surveyor was taking the picture through several cobwebs in the loft. They turned out to be the wires... literally stretched between points the shortest distance.

Yeah it’s to keep the R1+R2 values down mate and promote “free air” for the cables, whenever I buy a 100M roll of twin and earth the first thing I do is stretch the cable to at least 120M to get my moneys worth.

8 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Agreed, temperature, dust, moisture, I’ve never put an DVR NVR in a loft or airing cupboard, 

3 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Never had a problem bashing them in lofts and cupboards , so assume you walk away if they insist .....

Only issue I see with loft is as a house basher , the house Lasher's lash the stuff in and customer never goes up to see the mess 

Yeah that’s right, a lot of lofts are a **** mess.

id be prepared to walk away, but depends on how bad the environment was, we note anything on our report job sheet that we have advised against and why