Security Installer Community

New system with mobile phone alert

Sammmy

There are cheaper alternatives...

But as with everything in life some things are worth spending a little more on and also getting them fitted professionally. 

Cost v risk and all that.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

9 minutes ago, Rulland said:

The materials for a car cost way less than a car is sold for.

That's not actually true. I'm in the motor trade.

You try buying buying a car in parts it would cost at least double if not 3 times the price.

A new small car may only be £9,000 new, the engine alone will be £4,000, gearbox £2,000 shell £4,000, panels £2,000, control units £3,000 etc etc

Electronics is a competitive market, an alarm system should be £500...

Cars haven't just had one ECU for years. An average car now has at least 8 ECU, something like an S class Merc can have 60 plus. Everything is a control unit even down to rear view mirror, headlight switch, each door, abs, air suspension, active roll bars, active cruise, parking sensors, airbags, USB audio, phone, tv, radio, radio controller etc etc.

You lot have in easy with alarms.......

(light the blue touch paper)

Anyway what alarm am I buying tomorrow?

Edited by Sammmy

Ok, you sell a car, you're trade, at a price, you make a little profit, you have to sell a few to make a living.......

See where I'm coming from?.

10 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

how much is an ecu on that car?

A lot less than they sell it to Joe public.

1 hour ago, Sammmy said:

Its for my work address that is located in a remote location so must have some sort of mobile alert system. 

If you have contents insurance, check with your insurer that your diy effort is not going to be pulled out by a proper alarm co. to put it on redcare ect...

59 minutes ago, Sammmy said:

What I don't understand is why they aren't cheaper alternatives, the cost of the basic components for an alarm system will cost no more than £50, surely they should be sold for less than £500

8 zone controls for a house with a remote keypad are a lot cheaper than just a remote keypad for proper controls....

if you want cheap buy a dummy box, if you want a dummy adt box from ebay you'll pay more than the 8 zone house controls with keypad

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

15 minutes ago, Sammmy said:

Cars haven't just had one ECU for years. An average car now has at least 8 ECU, something like an S class Merc can have 60 plus. Everything is a control unit even down to rear view mirror, headlight switch, each door, abs, air suspension, active roll bars, active cruise, parking sensors, airbags, USB audio, phone, tv, radio, radio controller etc etc

So all that lot goes into a car, you sell it, do you know how they all integrate with each other?, could you fault find a problem with one part that has a knock on effect with other parts?.

We have it easy with alarms.

intergrating numerous devices, not necessarily from the same manufacturer, to provide a stable, reliable platform that performs as required under all conditions, that fickle insurance companies are happy with.

I want to be a car salesman tbh....

25 minutes ago, Rulland said:

could you fault find a problem with one part that has a knock on effect with other parts?.

Never said I was a salesman, I said I'm in the motor trade.

I own a garage, & yes I spend all day finding faults with modern systems & save customers thousands on stripping & repairing control unit & programming cars to accept used control units that manufactures have deliberately locked to one chassis number.

I want to fit alarms.....