Security Installer Community

Hello

Rookie292

Hi everyone , Rookie here signing up for some wisdom . A bit about myself . I did 2 years electrical engineering before joining the navy to be all that I can be . After  busting naughty fisherman for a bit  I decided to leave and join a security firm providing tech support over the phone . Now I'm a rookie tech doing installs and service.

Now the reason I joined this forum is the lack of any sort of structured training . Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to be centred around product knowledge than anything. Most of my learning is on the job and self initiated . IVe been  taking old panels home and familiarising myself with programming . 

Now so far ive learnt about

1. Normally open and close circuits

2. End of line and double end of line and how it's crucial for future servicing

3 . Zone doubling ( especially on older paradox panels)

4 basic cctv setups ,  and diagnosing faults 

5 building control panels  ( concept panels utilising my drill for that perfect twist and boot lacing ) all that good stuff 

.  I would really appreciate any reading that would be beneficial for me . I'll trawl through this forum as a start of course . But what I noticed is that it's nowhere near as structured an apprenticeship as say a sparky anyway ..... Looking forward to learning the craft from the gurus

7 hours ago, Rookie292 said:

IVe been  taking old panels home and familiarising myself with programming . 

Now so far ive learnt about

1. Normally open and close circuits

2. End of line and double end of line and how it's crucial for future servicing

3 . Zone doubling ( especially on older paradox panels)

4 basic cctv setups ,  and diagnosing faults 

5 building control panels  ( concept panels utilising my drill for that perfect twist and boot lacing ) all that good stuff 

I would ignore the training courses as you have probably learnt more than they will teach you, going from what you have said above.

Taken the panels home and learning them is the best way.

Drill for the perfect twist.............A big no, but i know other that do it.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Awesome , thanks for the advice I don't plan on working in UK anytime soon ,possibly in the future after I'm fully trained . The industry there is better than here in NZ  from the looks of it . 

4 hours ago, Nova-Security said:

I would ignore the training courses as you have probably learnt more than they will teach you, going from what you have said above.

Taken the panels home and learning them is the best way.

Drill for the perfect twist.............A big no, but i know other that do it.

Using the drill to twist cable , is it because it damages the cores ? I thought so . It's interesting learning from the senior techs here . Each  has their own way and depending on which technician I'm learning from I do things their way . For example one technician solders all his joins , another technician swears by terminal blocks and others just use gel crimp 

Thanks for  all the comments and ill definetly take them on board . I'm definetly considering travelling after I'm trained . The industry in NZ is very  very small and  Dominated  by the big 2 , Tyco and Chubb .

I wouldnt use a drill personally it's not that hard to do it manually, and you don't save any time or get it any neater with a drill

Hello btw and welcome, I have a mate in NZ Ian Brand do you know him?

1 minute ago, PeterJames said:

I wouldnt use a drill personally it's not that hard to do it manually, and you don't save any time or get it any neater with a drill

Hello btw and welcome, I have a mate in NZ Ian Brand do you know him?

I don't think that is true. Not mention the amount of effort you save using a drill makes it the first choice for me.

You've spoken like a true office boy there Mr James.