Security Installer Community

Photos of alarm system installation

Guest mike2004

Will your average DIYer even be aware that part p is coming not exactly been well publicised, has it ?

Most of my neighbours think they can put lights in their garages power in there gardens ect but the jobs are easily shown as diy from poor finishing and incorrect practices.

Will your average DIYer even be aware that part p is coming not exactly been well publicised, has it ?

Most of my neighbours think they can put lights in their garages power in there gardens ect but the jobs are easily shown as diy from poor finishing and incorrect practices.

30991[/snapback]

Does this mean that places such as B&Q will stop selling electrical stuff to the public? :no:

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I cant see how part p will have any effect on the DIYs at all, because if the work is not being done for reward then who says that any standards have to be followed anyway.

Guest thundercat

i dont think part p going to make any difference to the average diyer, , most diyers i would guess know their limits. yet there always will be those few who cant be arsed to pay for a pro to do the job, on a job that needs a pro.

i know my limits which is why i got a sparky in to change the consumer unit in my place recently, i wouldnt do any 'leccy' work in a bathroom, eg fit a new shower etc, out of my league, but i could replace an electric shower, but not prepared to take the risk of death for an hours work of a sparkie.

Then again some 'pros' can also do a hash job in their chosen field, whether sparkies, surgeons or lorry drivers cos 10 yrs in the job and passing qualifications doesnt necessarily mean competent.

im also renovating my house as mike is (my place was in a similar state a while back) and getting a system installed, doing some of the work myself and getting a pro in for the rest.

most of the cabling ive done may not be strictly in regulations, but its well towards better practice most has mechanical shielding where its behind plaster and runs under floors otherwise, and dropped into the loft after being passed up through a cavity.

i havent had the need yet to resort to fixing cables to skirting or running under carpets, fully understand why some installers do - time is money and clients want jobs done quick, and its permissable, just some of us punters dont like it,espicially when we have the opportunity to do it another way

ive found many useful comments from this site, i dont think there are many trade secrets to give away on routing /fishing cables etc, sighting and setting up detectors correctly yes, faultfinding - yes, getting out of bed at 3am to fix a customers alarm definately yes!

I couldn't agree with your comments more, thundercat.

However, although it won't make much of a difference to most DIYers or unscrupulous tradesmen, it will help to cut down on the amount of electrical work being carried out by non - competent ( I think incompetent is a bit harsh!) tradesmen. For example, general bulders building a conservatory including electrics, kitchen fitters replacing a kitchen including electrics.

Any improvent, even small, can only be good and, for this,

PartP is welcomed.

;)

If you don't know......ask.

kitchen fitters replacing a kitchen including electrics.

31133[/snapback]

How about running a washing machine socket straight from the electric cooker circuit? Or running wires for a security light diagonally across a wall? (via an unfused spur I might add) Or joining two mains cables together over a gas pipe using an uninsulated connector block? :o Thankfully, we had the first and last ones put right before we had any major problems <_<

Trade Member

How about running a washing machine socket straight from the electric cooker circuit? Or running wires for a security light diagonally across a wall? (via an unfused spur I might add) Or joining two mains cables together over a gas pipe using an uninsulated connector block? 

31341[/snapback]

That's nothing, you should have seen some of the trickery used in some of the kitchens I've pulled to pieces over the years.

part P will work because all mortgage and insurance providers will want to see the relevent documentation for your home i.e. initial electrical certificate (for new installation) and any periodic inspection reports (issued at change of ownership or occupancy and at intervals of 10years for domestic dwellings) and any minor works certificates you may have for alterations to existing circuits. and i read in an earlier post that you could say no alterations had been carried out since the issuing of a previous certificate, but that wouldnt work because anyone who is familiar with nic eic paperwork will know that the number of points on each circuit is recorded on the test sheets and also the age of the installation and circuit description and all the relevent readings so if there was additional work ie more sockets etc or more lights then the installation would be considered unsafe and could stop the sale of an house because the surveyor would pick up on this!

if there was additional work ie more sockets etc or more lights then the installation would be considered unsafe and could stop the sale of an house because the surveyor would pick up on this!

31557[/snapback]

Yeah right! Most surveyors I've come across couldn't spot a bodged bit of wiring if it were labelled as such.

Having said that, it might work the way you say it will in some instances, but it's a long way of foolproof.

Wheres the bit in Part P about regular periodics? If there isn't any work done in the property then it's highly unlikely it'll ever be tested.

Wheres the bit in Part P about regular periodics? If there isn't any work done in the property then it's highly unlikely it'll ever be tested.

31570[/snapback]

most mortgage and insurance providers will require electrical certification at change of ownership or occupancy, so if your going to stay in your house for the rest of your life then you would get away with diy electrics but if ever you decided to move you would have to have all the relevent electrical certification.

in my opinion part p is a step in the right direction, any regulation of this industry is a good thing if it is an attempt to make the industry safer and cut out the chancers. and i know everybody on here is of the opinion that it doesnt make a difference and diy'ers will carry on doing what they do worst but you could have that opinion about a lot of things for example people who have no licence tax or insurance can jump in a car and drive so why bother getting a licence!

Archived