Security Installer Community

Photos of alarm system installation

Guest mike2004

The only way a DIYer may come unstuck is when they come to sell their house and dont have all the relevant minor works docs etc.
Whats to stop anyone saying "its always been there?", part p wont stop the DIY`ers.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

im so glad that part P of the building regulations has been finalised basically it will stop anyone who is not on a competent persons scheme (like the one run by the nic eic) carrying out electrical work in domestic dwellings.

29924[/snapback]

Although I totally agree with all the other bits you said I'd have to disagree on this bit. Part P isn't going to stop DIYers from blowing themselves up, it probably won't even stop the cowboys from blowing other people up, but what it will do is bring in extra revenue for the NICEIC, which in turn will up the prices of the 'professionals'. There will now be a sudden price hike for all those qualified\approved electricians so people will be more likely to use a 'cowboy' as they are now half the price as a pro.

I am an electrician, though not in the NICEIC, but I don't do as much electrical now as I used to with the data and telecoms side of things being busy, so for the little electrical work that I do the prices are going to have to go up because I've got to join the NICEIC. For the smaller domestic jobs that I do customers are going to start going elsewhere, a step backwards I feel.

I don't actually want to be associated with the NICEIC as I've worked for companies in the past who are NICEIC registered but are absolutely clueless and dangerously incompetent. Just because I am not in the NICEIC doesn't mean I am incompetent, and just because I am a member doesn't mean I am competent.

I didn't realise the Finns were quite so kinky...

Did you use the PVC cable you had just stripped out of the sauna?

29932[/snapback]

Yes. I used to carry it in to the bin. :lol:

Just because I am not in the NICEIC doesn't mean I am incompetent, and just because I am a member doesn't mean I am competent.

Couldnt agree more, just another layer of red tape decending into the industry, does anyone seriously think that the cowboys out there are going to take a blind bit of notice of part p? I think not.

I do find it quite insulting people thinking that just because someone isnt qualified that means their incompetent, believe me i see so called qualified sparks doing stuff that would make you wince, so im sure another bit of papaer is really get them to tidy up their act NOT

More to the point i dont see how they are going to police it, i mean i really cant see plod coming round stopping someone doing DIY electrics, have a hard enough job getting them to show any interest when my van gets robbed for the third time. Ok i know your going to say the NIC are going to police it, but i ask you HOW?

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say I don't agree with the introduction of Part P to the building regulations. I can not see how this benifits the customer. A competent persons skill should be measured by the standard of work they provide and not by certificates and logos.

So many times I have seen electrical installations carried out to a very dangerous standard and by so called professional firms/people. There are too many cowboys to think of and that alone is enough to frighten me off paying a professional to cary out any of the work i require in the home.

True, I've seen many DIY disasters but Common sense goes a long way, along with a copy of IEE regs. All to often trades are too keen to maintain an aspect of mystery about how they do what they do as this keeps them in bussinees. But if the average Jo had that knowlege they then could spot a cowboy in quick time and this would be an advantage to the real trade professionals.

I myself enjoy and Like to do my own DIY, but I always consult a professional before undertaking anything I am not 100% sure about how to carry out the work.

I would not worry too much about loosing money from the DIY's, If they don't know what they are doing then you will get the Call......

Just look a the state of that! :no:

By the time you've finished and paid a decorator to sort out that lot it would have been cheaper to get an alarm company from the start.

Or will your next forum membership be with www.thewallpaperinstaller.co.uk? :w00t:

post-102-1099958100.jpg

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Just look a the state of that!  :no:

By the time you've finished and paid a decorator to sort out that lot it would have been cheaper to get an alarm company from the start.

Or will your next forum membership be with www.thewallpaperinstaller.co.uk?  :w00t:

30800[/snapback]

If you had followed this from the beginning you would have read that he is renovating his house.

Why would he want to keep that wallpaper for anyway, its 'orrible :wacko:

Guest livewire
Couldnt agree more, just another layer of red tape decending into the industry, does anyone seriously think that the cowboys out there are going to take a blind bit of notice of part p? I think not.

I do find it quite insulting people thinking that just because someone isnt qualified that means their incompetent, believe me i see so called qualified sparks doing stuff that would make you wince, so im sure another bit of papaer is really get them to tidy up their act NOT

More to the point i dont see how they are going to police it, i mean i really cant see plod coming round stopping someone doing DIY electrics, have a hard enough job getting them to show any interest when my van gets robbed for the third time. Ok i know your going to say the NIC are going to police it, but i ask you HOW?

29949[/snapback]

HOW?

Totally agree.

It will take hell of a lot mens hours / years/ centuries to perform these rotten house surveys, I am sure the authorities will take a digital photo of each socket, switch, cable run in each of the UK houses, surely NOT so don't see the purpose of this regulation at all. :whistle:

rgds

If you had followed this from the beginning you would have read that he is renovating his house.

Why would he want to keep that wallpaper for anyway, its 'orrible  :wacko:

30881[/snapback]

gee, man.. i just bought similar in to my bedroom... :o

Archived