Security Installer Community

Photos of alarm system installation

Guest mike2004

im so glad that part P of the building regulations has been finalised basically it will stop anyone who is not on a competent persons scheme (like the one run by the nic eic) carrying out electrical work in domestic dwellings.

to all those diy'ers out there contemplating rewiring there own house, ask yourself this; if a member of your family died after recievibg a fatel electric shock as a result of a fault on the wiring you had installed could you live with yourself? just little things like a badly connected cpc could go undetected because they do not effect the operation of the circuit under normal circumstances, however under fault conditions the mcb would not operated due to inadequate earthing!

it just really annoys me that i spend years at college and then years in the industry learning my trade and then some bloke who reads a couple of diy books and looks up a few references on the internet thinks he can achieve the same standards as myself a qualified and experienced electrician, mike you say you done a good job rewiring your house but then you show pictures on this forumn of substandard intruder alarm wiring (cables not mechanically protected, cables not routed correctly etc etc) i would love to see some pics of your house wiring?

thing is its not just about installing cables neat and tidy there are various things to be taken into consideration i.e. bonding requirements etc and the earthing arrangement in place i.e. tnc tnc-s tt tns and what form of protection you are going to use for direct and indirect contact, i could go on and on but its not worth it because these are topics for proffessionals and not covered by diy books or tv shows,

it nothing personnal mike i just take a lot of pride in my work!

Me neither. TNS isn't so simple that you could guess.. Especially now when cable gauge has to be calculated due to facts and installation environment. Not anymore looking from cabling tables (ie. 10A fuse --> 1,5mm2 core, 16A 2,5mm2 cores). Cable lenght, where is installed, etc.. Plus measuring shortcircuit currents and choosing cable/fuses according to that. Earthing is also one trick. Using, connecting and testing fault current (is mcp = MisCurrentProtection or something? Just guessing from the text..) protector is also one important thing.

My father is a DIYer of all trades. He wired his sauna also. Saved on the cable and wired "kiuas" (thing in sauna which warms up the stones) with normal PVC - cable... Guess who didn't go to sauna but to get proper cable quite fast .. And after changing the cable i :Whip: my father a bit.

basically it will stop anyone who is not on a competent persons scheme (like the one run by the nic eic) carrying out electrical work in domestic dwellings.

Maybe i am stupid but i dont understand how it will stop anyone!

So long as B&Q sell the equipment, people will diy.

And besides, the only people that know about this are in the trade anyhow, i cant imagine there will be a massive tv advertising scheme to warn people so how is it going to stop anyone?

Archived