Security Installer Community

Texecom Comwifi

You mean the control panel is not programmed correctly? If that is the case, how come for a period of time the remote access was working fine? And that even now, when the app doesn't want to get connected properly remotely, it still gets notifications when the system is armed and disarmed? That's the part that's bugging me, as there were no changes made on the control panel between when it was working and when it stopped working. Nor have any changes in the app been made since.

Hmmm...I don't know about that, I'd say that if the router reset itself to factory settings, then all the port forwarding, DDNS etc. would also fail, which is not the case here. Which makes me believe that either:

1. Texecom panel [or comIP module] changed something by itself (which according to the thread above doesn't seem to be impossible), and/or

2. there's malfunction in the app itself [that might have come alive with one of the iOS 11 updates], and/or

3. alternatively issues with texecom servers perhaps?

I'll have some time to look into it tomorrow, however I wanted to see if anybody else might have had similar issues, so I don't spend better part of the day messing around needlessly. :)

The only setting that is changed from the server is the polling time to 015.

Other two points are possible but had no reported issues with iOS11 myself, also bear in mind that you can't login if it's trying to contact the server to push a notification, it all runs on the same port.

So for example if the server was busy or set wrong it will keep trying for the amount of retries set in the programming, you wouldn't have access until it times out. If you had this issue I would expect you not to be able to access the Com-IP at all which I believe is not the case.

Hm...Interesting...I forgot about that, I know some of the BT Hubs get updates, however, I'm not sure if that's limited to to the ones on the infinity fibre. Funnily, I was just reading the post on DIYnot forum - [ https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/still-having-issues-with-the-texecom-app-unable-to-connect-through-comwifi-can-anybody-help-please.462525/ ] and it would appear each BT router is slightly different, while with some it works without issue...with others it's nothing but issues... go figure. :/

That is not saying that Texecom side of things are any better... yes I am looking at you Texecom app!! Seen quite few people struggling to get everything working. Which is a shame.

I'm defo not looking forward to tomorrow though... last time I spent 3 hours to get the bloody thing working. :rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, SSD said:

That is not saying that Texecom side of things are any better... yes I am looking at you Texecom app!! Seen quite few people struggling to get everything working. Which is a shame.

I'm defo not looking forward to tomorrow though... last time I spent 3 hours to get the bloody thing working. :rolleyes:

People with limited technical knowledge of the panels and IT will struggle to get it working, there's a lot of settings to program.

We are not taking about setting up consumer grade kit here.

The new Smartcom is more plug and play, likely because even trained engineers are incapable of following instructions, or so it would appear.

1 hour ago, sjsturner said:

Out of interest 6, do any isp’s update their routers routinely BT for example, I have heard of issues with certain routers with this believed to be a possible culprit of connection problems

Some ISP's have backdoors into there routers (look at TR-069 hacking) and part of some ISP's automated service for line/speed issues is instructions on how to default the router.

It's likely that some firmware updates will default the router, I generally avoid working on ISP provided gear if I can, it can be more hassle than it's worth.

Ideally you would swap for enterprise grade router but many domestics wouldn't pay for that, or the support for the router going forward.

2 hours ago, sjsturner said:

Out of interest 6, do any isp’s update their routers routinely BT for example, I have heard of issues with certain routers with this believed to be a possible culprit of connection problems

often removes all port forwarding too

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

5 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Ideally you would swap for enterprise grade router but many domestics wouldn't pay for that, or the support for the router going forward.

Yeah, I completely agree, but it's hard to convince certain clients to do so. And then you're pretty much left to work around it.

• 2 months later...

Evening Gents,

I realise it’s been a while since anybody added to this thread but... this is fked up and I can’t get my head around what could be wrong.

So, when I’m NOT connected to my home WiFi the app works exactly as it should, I get notifications and I can log in to the panel, etc.

BUT

when I am connected to the home WiFi, I get the push notifications but I can’t login to the panel, 

If when I’m on the Home WiFi I manually enter the comwifi’s Local IP address into the app and switch off the update IP setting I can connect as a should be able to but as soon as I switch on update IP again I lose the ability to login into the panel unless I’m not connected to the WiFi at home.

As some back ground info my system and app were working exactly as they should until around a month ago when I changed ISP’s and had a new router, I’ve set up exactly as I did before but for some reason now I’m getting this issue, has anybody had anything similar?

13 hours ago, crispypearson1984 said:

Evening Gents,

I realise it’s been a while since anybody added to this thread but... this is fked up and I can’t get my head around what could be wrong.

So, when I’m NOT connected to my home WiFi the app works exactly as it should, I get notifications and I can log in to the panel, etc.

BUT

when I am connected to the home WiFi, I get the push notifications but I can’t login to the panel, 

If when I’m on the Home WiFi I manually enter the comwifi’s Local IP address into the app and switch off the update IP setting I can connect as a should be able to but as soon as I switch on update IP again I lose the ability to login into the panel unless I’m not connected to the WiFi at home.

As some back ground info my system and app were working exactly as they should until around a month ago when I changed ISP’s and had a new router, I’ve set up exactly as I did before but for some reason now I’m getting this issue, has anybody had anything similar?

I don't know jack about this gear 

Question can you make two profiles on the app , one to connect via wifi and one when your out ? Or can you only install it once on each app if that makes sense 

12 hours ago, Simlec said:

Just buy the SmartCom and put the wificom in the bin.

Seems this is best option lol, although the card might sell on ebay

Edited by al-yeti

13 hours ago, crispypearson1984 said:

These card only use one COM port so if busy doing a task you will not be able to login.

This to me sounds like something is misconfigured in the router. Every router is different and ISP provided routers are junk.

Update IP works as intended from your description.

I would put the old router back to test it myself.

12 hours ago, Simlec said:

Just buy the SmartCom and put the wificom in the bin.

I never liked the WiFi version but never had an problem with LAN card. WiFi ones are a bit annoying to get setup but when setup work fine.

They have there limitations hence the new Smartcom but again it's down to people expecting plug and play instead of following the instructions, like I said in the trade thread recently.

For private reporting services (not connected to an ARC) I would prefer to have a ComIP and use my own static IP or DDNS service over using a closed platform to auto-configure everything.

OP - It sounds very much like your router does not support NAT Loopback.  NAT Loopback allows connection to your own external WAN IP address from inside your private network.  Check your router documentation to see if there's a setting. Other than that, you will need to switch addresses depending on which network you're on.

Take a look at my Honeywell  VKP app manual, as it explains this on the second last page.   I don't know if Texecom mention this anywhere, but it's a very common issue.

https://www.sm-alarms.co.uk/manuals/selfmon_iosvkp_v2.pdf

• Upvote 1