Security Installer Community

Very Basic Query

oldguy

Hello,

Its a while since i installed my last alarm, a basic 8 zone with a couple of PIR's and magnetics.

I'm now in process of moving to a larger property which will need 5 magnetics and 6 PIR's.

whilst I recall you could have latching PIR's on the same zone, I'd prefer to have a 12 zone (or higher) panel so I can keep the PIR's seperate.

I've seen the Honeywell Galaxy series, and just wonder ignoring all the 'extras' these seem to have, are they as simple to wire up as the 'standard' 8 zone panels.....

thanks

OG

In my humble opinion the Galaxy is a professional install panel,but subject to the advice of the site experts it could be suitable for yourself given that you have installed in the past. I notice though, from your inventory, that there is no perimeter protection (break glass, shock etc) other than door contacts. This means that there is a probability that the intruder may well be able to get inside the premises before any alarm activation occurs. I shall leave it up to the experts to decide.

The current panel I think is a basic Texacom (?)

There are NO magnetics on any of the external doors, just a few internal PIRs.

I might consider glass break etc, and possibly the speech dialler at a later date, this is why I'm considering a higher specification panel so I can extent/upgrade in the future....

Whilst I'm no expert installer I just want to be sure that I can set-up a Galaxy panel in the typical residential configuration (doors and PIR's only)

thanks

First question why do you want all the doors protected, I go to a lot of houses that have been burgled and not many burglars open doors they normally go through them. If you must have all the doors protected then I would advise upgrading the Texe you wont have to change all the eol's in the existing detectors.

I agree here maybe you should reconsider your protection requirements.

You should keep one zone to one device.

Bigger panels will be professional kit only so you may get limited support/manuals on pro kit.

I imagine the current system if a basic Texecom Veritas will not have EOL resistors so you can choose whichever system you prefer that supports DP.

Hello,

Its a while since i installed my last alarm, a basic 8 zone with a couple of PIR's and magnetics.

I'm now in process of moving to a larger property which will need 5 magnetics and 6 PIR's.

whilst I recall you could have latching PIR's on the same zone, I'd prefer to have a 12 zone (or higher) panel so I can keep the PIR's seperate.

I've seen the Honeywell Galaxy series, and just wonder ignoring all the 'extras' these seem to have, are they as simple to wire up as the 'standard' 8 zone panels.....

thanks

OG

The Galaxy G2 series are really easy to install - I would say easier than some of the low end non-LCD DIY panels.  Very cheap to buy too!

"...5 magnetics and 6 PIR's...."

So just how big is this new property. I accept that it is logical to keep each device on a separate zone, I accept that it is ultimately your own decision as far as opting for Galaxy is concerned (This is a professionals' panel though so keep in mind the earlier posts)but there are occasions, whether it bodes well with the experts or not, when more than one device on a zone does not mean the end of the world. Two adjacent rooms could be one zone (it's not a mansion by any chance is it?)and a further two could be another and so on. If you're bothered about troubleshooting two devices on one zone then bring them both back to the panel on separate cables and troubleshoot from there (that's the Lazy Man's way out). Put just one on latch there's no need to put two. In days gone by we had to look for faults on a loop of ten or more door contacts (there's an easy way for that too).