Security Installer Community

Pros / Cons Of Silent 1St Alarm

Hi Everyone, 

Any views on having 'Silent 1st Alarm' enabled with full bells if a second input is set off within 30min to 60min? 

I have a Pyronix Enforce installed with 1 door contact, 4 PIRs and 4 Shock Sensors (shocks are set for double knock over a 10 second period). We use the alarm in 2 different ways;

- Area A is full set and full alarm (I'm considering Silent 1st Alarm only on Area A)

- Area B is used for a 'perimeter' alarm using door contact and Shock Sensors which the wife typically uses during the day or later in the night when I am not at home - this only triggers the sounder on the keypad.

Area A is always used when we leave the house and at night.

Would you recommend a silent 1st alarm approach?

Is it completely silent or would the keypad still beep?

Can the same input be triggered a second time for the alarm to fully trigger?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi. Thanks both for your replies.

I should have said why... my thinking was it would reduce the chance of a false alarm particularly when away from home for an extended period of time. I was keen to understand if it was common practise in the industry or a big no-no for example.

The alarm isn't monitored by an ARC etc.

Hi. Thanks both for your replies.

I should have said why... my thinking was it would reduce the chance of a false alarm particularly when away from home for an extended period of time. I was keen to understand if it was common practise in the industry or a big no-no for example.

The alarm isn't monitored by an ARC etc.

Monitored alarms can be silent, but I think you may be getting confused with second alarm verification. This works as follows: Any detector activates alarm inc sounders (if permitted) it sends an non-confirmed intruder signal to the ARC, and the key-holder is called. Any second detector activates within a predefined period of time, the ARC is sent a second signal known as a confirmed intruder, the Arc will call the Police and advise the key-holder that the activation has been upgraded.

Monitored alarms can be silent, but I think you may be getting confused with second alarm verification. This works as follows: Any detector activates alarm inc sounders (if permitted) it sends an non-confirmed intruder signal to the ARC, and the key-holder is called. Any second detector activates within a predefined period of time, the ARC is sent a second signal known as a confirmed intruder, the Arc will call the Police and advise the key-holder that the activation has been upgraded.

That makes sense. So portably my terminology if out on this not working in the industry.

There is a setting on my alarm system that allows the alarm to trigger but silent (still sends me a text message) unless a second input is trigger within a defined period of time - 1 to 99min can be set. 

My reference to ARC was probably misleading.

I doubt that the same input could be used conventionally to trigger twice..I am assuming by 'input' you mean a detection device. This belies the whole concept of a security system. You could, however, achieve something akin to your needs using a relay, possibly on a timer (at the bell trip). Haven't worked out a method yet so bear with me. Which version of the Enforcer are you using ? (issue). Two items in the post are bothering me. Firstly, just how many false alarms have you actually had ? you appear to be highly concerned on this front. Secondly, I would prefer it if, when your wife is at home alone at night that external sounders are operational rather than just an internal keypad. If you are, in fact, prone to false alarms, the shockers may need consideration, and of course your proximity to traffic.

my thinking was it would reduce the chance of a false alarm particularly when away from home for an extended period of time. 

TBH if its installed right and good equipment used then you should not have any false alarms.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.