Security Installer Community

Monitored Alarm No Longer Near A Phone Socket

Chall

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on a situation I've managed to land myself in since moving to Virgin for phone and broadband.

I moved into my current house about five years ago and it had an installed ADT system and we took over the contract. All was fine until we moved to Virgin and the main phone socket was moved to a different room. The ADT system is wired directly into the back of the original BT socket in the kitchen and is now, of course, no longer connected. Virgin point blank refuse to place a socket in the kitchen so at the moment the alarm is not connected to ADT.

As a solution to this I bought a wireless telephone extension that plugs into a 13A wall socket but was unable to connect this at the alarm end as there's no plug on the ADT connection as it's wired directly into the back of the original BT socket.

Today we had an ADT engineer around who told us that the wireless extension I bought would not work as the ADT box needs the 50v provided by the BT socket and the wireless extension won't provide that, I can't see this being the case it's plugged into a 240v 13A wall socket but this really isn't my area of expertise.

So, as far as I can see my options are to replace the ADT box with one that connects via my wireless network but the cost of this according to the engineer was ridiculous, get Virgin back to install another socket then ADT again to connect it, or get what I have working.

My questions are:

1. Is it really £800-£1000 for a new box to be installed given that all the wiring is already in place?
  2. Is the wireless extension really a no-go? Wouldn't all I need to would be connect the wires that come out of the ADT alarm to an RJ11 connector and plug it in?
Thanks for any insights you can shed on this.

Ditch ADT and get a contract with someone offering gprs digiair or better yet dual path monitoring. Telephone lines are yesterdays technology for monitoring.

It all depends on the system you have, of course. Is it entirely wireless?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Why can't you just get a local engineer to link the two sockets ? Or run a cable internally ?

Either way you have to pay to do it, or run and connect the cable yourself

It's just a long difficult run, I had really hoped that wireless phone extension would let me avoid having to do that.

Ditch ADT and get a contract with someone offering gprs digiair or better yet dual path monitoring. Telephone lines are yesterdays technology for monitoring.

It all depends on the system you have, of course. Is it entirely wireless?

No, it's entirely hard-wired.

Get your telecoms provider to install a socket adjacent the main alarm control panel, it will cost you but is the easiest solution imo.

This does appear to be the way we're headed, Mrs Chall is going to phone the telecom's engineer this afternoon.

As above id say Either have a local Telecoms engineer sort the sockets out

And switch from ADT to a local-Taking over an ADT system shouldn't be an issue for most locals.

Check SSAIB or NSI for a local company

Is the system monitored via the telephone line or are they just using the phone line for Remote Servicing ?

Its probably not £1k for a new control unit but it depends on what you've got installed already.

As above id say Either have a local Telecoms engineer sort the sockets out

And switch from ADT to a local-Taking over an ADT system shouldn't be an issue for most locals.

Check SSAIB or NSI for a local company

Is the system monitored via the telephone line or are they just using the phone line for Remote Servicing ?

Its probably not £1k for a new control unit but it depends on what you've got installed already.

Thanks, we've got a telecoms engineer booked now.

This one is monitored by ADT and not just for servicing.