Security Installer Community

Control Panel With Continuous Event Log Feed

As previous posts.  Load up OpenGalaxy software on a Pi, then fit it inside Galaxy Dimension or G3 Galaxy and connect to RS232 via TTL-RS232.  OpenGalaxy has SIA options to request zone status. I haven't tested this myself, but it may be fast enough on the Dimension to repeatedly poll the zone status without impacting other panel functions.

As previous posts.  Load up OpenGalaxy software on a Pi, then fit it inside Galaxy Dimension or G3 Galaxy and connect to RS232 via TTL-RS232.  OpenGalaxy has SIA options to request zone status. I haven't tested this myself, but it may be fast enough on the Dimension to repeatedly poll the zone status without impacting other panel functions.

Thanks for that pointer.  I had not seen any of those links before. 

OP,

bag of relays ?

open source ?

or branded product eg- Crestron ?

Not sure how a bag of relays would help. The circuits are wired FSL.   The intrusive way of doing this is to measure current probably by changing the EOL resistors (by halving their R) and putting a matching one at the control panel and then measuring potential across that however this is a lot of work since the panel is already doing the current detection.  As per the original post I am looking for a commercial panel.

I think the issue you will have is the real-time nature of the information you need. The standard alarm panels will pass events to printers/ARC's Etc. but they are normally serial and too slow to make real-time automation responses.

Fair comment.  I did wonder if this was the case. The design of a panel using such a scheme would inevitably need a circular buffer of some kind for events (but they do that anyway) and for the serial output to follow that buffer.  Inevitably there is potential for overrun and loss of events.  However modern technology has vastly increased memory on embedded devices so I was just wondering...

Thanks for that pointer.  I had not seen any of those links before. 

Not sure how a bag of relays would help. The circuits are wired FSL.   The intrusive way of doing this is to measure current probably by changing the EOL resistors (by halving their R) and putting a matching one at the control panel and then measuring potential across that however this is a lot of work since the panel is already doing the current detection.  As per the original post I am looking for a commercial panel.

Fair comment.  I did wonder if this was the case. The design of a panel using such a scheme would inevitably need a circular buffer of some kind for events (but they do that anyway) and for the serial output to follow that buffer.  Inevitably there is potential for overrun and loss of events.  However modern technology has vastly increased memory on embedded devices so I was just wondering...

I was meaning more at the alarm panel side.  I wrote a Galaxy based program for a potential customer who had a green home project for hundreds of houses. They wanted to use the low cost G2-44 panel with my Ethernet module to interface into an automation controller. Now, the panel based commands would allow for four queries to take place to receive real-time information for all 44 zones, but the problem was that each query took three instructions and that all took time.  This meant that you could be querying one chunk of zones and miss a zone transition on another zone.  If I tried to speed the requests up, it would hog the comm's bus and slow things down.  I had to let the customer know that the G2 wouldn't offer a reliable solution and that they would probably need a panel with more horsepower.

The more reliable solution is the SIA based alarm reporting method where the panel would report each zone status change on a serial basis. These events are buffered by the panel CPU, so would never be lost. The problem is that where you have many zone transitions, you will create a queue that needs processing. The last event in the queue may take some time to be pulled by the external computer.

The more reliable solution is the SIA based alarm reporting method where the panel would report each zone status change on a serial basis. These events are buffered by the panel CPU, so would never be lost. The problem is that where you have many zone transitions, you will create a queue that needs processing. The last event in the queue may take some time to be pulled by the external computer.

SIA DC-03-1990.01 (R2000.11) does look like a good approach.

I guess I still need to know if a low-end (I only need 8 zones) galaxy panel emits open/close events down the interface when both set and unset.

Thanks for your info.

SIA DC-03-1990.01 (R2000.11) does look like a good approach.

I guess I still need to know if a low-end (I only need 8 zones) galaxy panel emits open/close events down the interface when both set and unset.

Thanks for your info.

Yes, it can be done. There's no public API though.

Edited by GalaxyGuy