Security Installer Community

Wiring A Pir And A Magnetic Contact In Parallel?

buzzer

With the door in the open position, the contacts are closed )checked with a meter...  the two wires from the contacts are across the PIR contacts and without moving the door, I still get an alarm trigger off the PIR when I walk in!  I just cant understand it...

just off to try a short wire to bridge the PIR contacts.... and take the contacts and wiring out of the loop....  just to see...

Seen this done loads of times, Typically with an N/O door contact wired in parallel

Once garage door is opened, it holds the PIR circuit and allows you to get to your garage keypad.

I consider it a major security issue, If someone breaks in through the garage door you will get no alarm condition, unless the intruder drops the door down to hide themselves

Due to the fact that when the door is up, its bypassed to allow access to the control panel/ keypad,

well.... Its infuriating when you fix something...  but don't know why!  I changed the PIR for an old one I had and it works now!  not sure what it was...

I take the point on the security issue...  However, the layout is such that the point of entry is very unlikely to be the up and over door, and if it was they would have to overcome the mechanism and force the door right the way back to bridge out the contacts.  I am happy with the risk.

Thanks guys, first time I have used this forum, big thumbs up from me.

Its one one of the few forums where people who do this for a living outnumber the 'general public' - to be fair its

actually very rare that public help out other public on this board, it's not like DIYnot!

Glad you got it fixed.

I saw something on an electrical forum a while back that made me laugh.

OP - My RCD keeps tripping for [my quotes] 'no reason'

Reply - Simply replace with a main switch. £8 from ebay

OP - OK someone said the RCD was for safety

Reply - No its just something electricians fit to try and get more money out of you!

OP - lol, ok thanks!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I saw something on an electrical forum a while back that made me laugh.

OP - My RCD keeps tripping for [my quotes] 'no reason'

Reply - Simply replace with a main switch. £8 from ebay

OP - OK someone said the RCD was for safety

Reply - No its just something electricians fit to try and get more money out of you!

OP - lol, ok thanks!

Now that's funny