Security Installer Community

Wiring A Pir And A Magnetic Contact In Parallel?

buzzer

I have just installed an electric garage door opener. My plan was to fit a magnetic contact onto the alarm circuit so that when the garage door went up, it closed the contacts on a magnetic switch (patio door type, heavy duty) which was wired in parallel with the PIR at the back of the garage.. I could than park the car, close the garage, and go into the house to switch the alarm off.

I have done this, but what I have found is that although the contacts on the magnetic reed switch are closed, the PIR still triggers the alarm!

Any suggestions how I overcome this? I have checked the continuity of the wiring and the switch with an Ohm meter and all is OK… it’s as if the alarm panel is still somehow sensing the PIR trigger, even though the magnetic contact is wired into the circuit and closed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hang on...

If the door contacts are NORMALLY CLOSED, when it the door opens, they are open too.

So the PIR carries on as if the door contacts were not there? Or do you mean you've positioned the

contact where the door comes to a rest? If so, that's a long way to travel and the heat of the engine block, for example,

would set it off meantime easily.

As a last resort I'd check you haven't wired into the tamper pair on the PIR, rather than alarm.

And as Norm says there are possibly better ways of doing it.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

the magnetic contacts are placed on the up and over door, so when the door is fully OPEN and at rest, the magnetic contacts are CLOSED.

So to me I have continuity in the circuit, yet the PIR still triggers the alarm!

I am sure its not wired into the tamper...

Happy to discuss other options, and thanks for the advice so far!

Ok, so when you have the alarm in test mode, and the garage door is fully open, and the contacts are (measured with a meter) closed parallel against the ones in the PIR, you still get an alarm at the panel?

What system is it by the by?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands