Security Installer Community

Starting Up

I stopped working so much a while ago when the company bank balance improved. I work hard but very rarely at the weekend now, and just a little in the evening from home. Not for family or kids for me, I just don't like being stressed all the time and find I'm now more productive during the week. It also trains your clients to understand you are not available at any time they see fit.

It also trains your clients to understand you are not available at any time they see fit.

This is the hardest thing, especially if you previously were. However, I'd say that is a bit easier for the smaller co now with

auto attendent etc etc..

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

It also trains your clients to understand you are not available at any time they see fit.

Exactly, people think they are indispensable, but the more available you are the more availability people expect, manage their expectations from the start imo

• Upvote 1

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Exactly, people think they are indispensable, but the more available you are the more availability people expect, manage their expectations from the start imo

Agreed but when you are very small / starting from nothing, the fact you're are not the faceless co. can be your USP and how you get chosen over bigger co's.

I'm not saying that has to mean you are on the phone 24/7, but that's often how it works out, isn't it?

So I think its an almost inevitable trap to fall in when starting out. Its true it could have been better managed by me, but I'm getting there and now all customers have

it in writing  how and when they can contact me depending on what they've paid for, the message has got through.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Agreed with the small co scenario, but Matthew openly says he's spent 1 million squid... so I'd'd be pretty pissed if I was still tied to the phone and had never been on a family holiday, after all remind me why we work again? 

Edited by norman

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Indeed.

My main issue is MAS. With immense reluctance I have given them a VPN connection to my database so that they can support alarm processing in an emergency situation. Our network is quite redundant and in theory if say MASA failed you could click on B or C, click make active and everything would carry over.

Reality is generally receivers fail and don't switch and certain services need restarting. Plan B is getting a good IT person delegated to do IT bits and get MAS to do what he can't do with the hope should we ever have a server failure that they could between them sort it out.

I couldn't sit on holiday, isolated from everyone and just hope all was ok. Maybe the comfort would be having a separate mobile that if the pair of them couldn't sort it out they could call. I'd probably rest then.

post-43585-0-11138800-1399459382_thumb.j

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/