Security Installer Community

Minor Works Certs

paul44

Not according to my NICEIC assessor a couple of months ago, he said as long as it was tested regularly against a known socket etc, and readings didn't obviously fluctuate, then that was a good enough check to say the calibration was still valid-though I'm a bit wary of the ramifications if somat occured etc, I'll still get it done yearly to save any problems tbh.

are you not getting mixed up with pre testing your meter against a known source to make sure it is working before testing for dead voltage,just a thought not a dig btw

No, his exact words on our yearly office based assessment to me, our QS, and my coleague, 'How often should your meters be calibrated', my mate said yearly, he said no, etc until I said no requirement, that's when he gave the speal as I mentioned above, as my previous though, and hearing others comments, I do it every year to be sure-does beg the question though, do even the assessors really know their stuff?, or is it just pay us the money or you won't be in our club?.

I would indeed question that statement, as its always been required to have calibrated equipment and has been for donkeys.  There was a time they wanted regular self-cal as you have said with a yearly cert as well but that went down like a lead balloon and was scraped (still have logs somewhere).  But as you may know the NIC make up what ever they want  :-

No, his exact words on our yearly office based assessment to me, our QS, and my coleague, 'How often should your meters be calibrated', my mate said yearly, he said no, etc until I said no requirement, that's when he gave the speal as I mentioned above, as my previous though, and hearing others comments, I do it every year to be sure-does beg the question though, do even the assessors really know their stuff?, or is it just pay us the money or you won't be in our club?.

That's always been the way

Calibrations are dated and usually allowed a little deviation usually a month.

In other industries I have worked in you have been allowed to audit or golden sample test to keep a test unit running after the  calibration has expire, once the golden sample or audit sample is showing deviations then your equipment should be recalibrated.

However it was always the case that the golden/ audit sample was used monthly, and on the odd occassion it showed the device needed re calibrating although  the calibration was in date.

The problem was if you did it monthly and it fell out of acceptable limits, do you go back through everything for the last month to check it was in rather than out of allowed limits.

What does it say in the small print of the guidelines you are working to?

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Megger MFT 1720,   Get my certificates books direct from the NICEIC website, they are good quality ones

How much do you think i should pay for a nearly new one with `10 month calibration left on it.

I see there about £660+vat new so i would go for less than half, but dont know how strong they hold there value.

i see a few on ebay holding out for near on the £500 mark on used, and the cheaper ones went for around £350

theres one with a stuck button but have no idea how much it would cost to repair, and if the buttons stuck whats to say something else isnt broke aswell so avoiding that one.

so over the odds at 500 second hand,  offered someone  more than you suggested for second hand but not by much, its brand new so they claim and it looks like it. so not paying too much over by the looks of things.

thanks thats helped me a fair bit, just see if they except the offer now I guess.

i see a few on ebay holding out for near on the £500 mark on used, and the cheaper ones went for around £350

theres one with a stuck button but have no idea how much it would cost to repair, and if the buttons stuck whats to say something else isnt broke aswell so avoiding that one.

so over the odds at 500 second hand, offered someone more than you suggested for second hand but not by much, its brand new so they claim and it looks like it. so not paying too much over by the looks of things.

thanks thats helped me a fair bit, just see if they except the offer now I guess.

At theme prices I'd buy brand new.

Remember, its your job.

Pissing about over a few quid difference is daft, even if money may be tight.

Edited by Cubit