Security Installer Community

Pricey Fire Panels

I was thinking of replacing our old Menvier 2 Zone panel which is ancient, more imprtantly the tenants in the flats and shops have trouble resetting it when they set off the smoke sensors... (Doesn't happen too often) but some of them are scared to go near the panel. The buttons are absolute **** on this unit.

Sadly I never installed it, but there are around 12 detectors, one break glass and 2 big bells off the panel.

Detectors are daisy chained obviously (2 zones) with a 12k EOL resistor at the end of each run.

I'd really like an addressable system, but prices for conventional seem steep enough.

Am I right in thinking, there is no such thing as a cheap / decent fire panel?

Why are fire panels so expensive compared to burglar alarms when the technology is just as cheap and easy to make?

Am I right in thinking, if I use addressable, all the detectors will need replacing with addressable units?

cheers

Danny

Can't put a price on protecting life, in my opinion. Are you the landlord?

To answer your question, yes all detection devices will have to be swapped to addressable. Circuit wiring will have to added to also to create a return loop back to the panel.

But to be honest, I wouldn't be touching it unless you know what you are doing. We are dealing with people's lives here after all.

We use C Tec addressable. I would suggest you look at the standards then quote what is needed.

I have 4 nightclubs to quote for maintenance tomm and I can guarantee they will not be up to standards hence phoning us instead of staying with the original installer.

We will quote to the standard expected and that is it. I know that on these certain clubs the music still goes on when the system activates so this will be quoted etc. I will never take over a system that will put me in jail if there was a fire! To much to loose imo.

!

Fire is totally different ball game.

Conventional fire panels are not expensive, they have to pass more standards than a crappy ADE intruder panel for instance.

Why would you want the cheapest heap of **** to protect life, i get this day in day out and i cant for the love of god understand why.

Using proper bottom end of the market fire panels is false economy when another 20-30 quid will increase quality/reliability 10 fold.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Why would you want the cheapest heap of **** to protect life, i get this day in day out and i cant for the love of god understand why.

Duh cos money in your hand is more important, plus nothing bad will EVER happen, right?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived