Security Installer Community

Access Control To Grant Pc Access

JasonOfOz

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure it's not me with all the weird clients but I think we do get our fair share. (if anything to entertain the rest of you all to put your creative caps on..)

Client has a hotel with a number of both permanent and temporary staff.

All staff are issued with access cards (in this case Paxton) - for back of house and Mifare for the hotel room locking system.

They would like to provide a PC in the common area that can be accessed by permanent staff only.

They don't wish to create accounts for everyone so would like to use the existing access control cards to grant them access.

Ideally we just add a group in the paxton software but i'm not sure how we could even think about getting it to talk to the PC.

Any ideas??

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the challenge :)

Well he seems very pleased with himself.

I love access control but am not embedding anything in my hand - seems a bit steep!!

Thanks SWB, this is what we are looking for in principle. Ideally we are looking for:

1. Staff to use their existing Paxton cards (that aren't linked to a username/password - since not all staff will have an IT account set up for them)

2. the ability to use the current settings in the Paxton software (which saves having to re-enrol the cards on a separate database)

I think I am dreaming but you never know if you don't ask.

Thanks again!

the ability to use the current settings in the Paxton software (which saves having to re-enrol the cards on a separate database)

Well you didn't mention that first time.

How about something as simple as a energy saver reader, that switches off the monitor and input devices. However this wouldn't stop someone plugging in there own peripherals so would only work if the PC was secure.

Or depending on the PC and configuration you could wire the powerswitch header pins to a reader (non-latching), set the PC to sleep/wake on power key only?

Mmm ... that's got me wondering if I have something lying about to try this.

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure it's not me with all the weird clients but I think we do get our fair share. (if anything to entertain the rest of you all to put your creative caps on..)

Client has a hotel with a number of both permanent and temporary staff.

All staff are issued with access cards (in this case Paxton) - for back of house and Mifare for the hotel room locking system.

They would like to provide a PC in the common area that can be accessed by permanent staff only.

They don't wish to create accounts for everyone so would like to use the existing access control cards to grant them access.

Ideally we just add a group in the paxton software but i'm not sure how we could even think about getting it to talk to the PC.

Any ideas??

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the challenge :)

run the power for the monitor through a relay on an acu.

just finished reading everyonelses posts, so what he said.

Hi SWB,

That suggestion is PURE genius!!

For a Friday afternoon, that is really out of the box thinking - v.impressed :)

I'll let you know how I get on.

sorry mate, it was actually fairly obvious  :-

Archived